buying from out of state to california

MobyP

Sep 25, 2000
hi guys, sorry to trouble you guys again. I just spoke to the honda dealer and the best price he offered me for a cr250 02 model OTD was $6500.I learn from some of the guys here that i could buy it from out of state and with shipping it will cost alot less than what the dealer here is offering. Well, think is, i have never bought a bike here in the US before. So I have a question,

1) If I buy it from out of state, I most likely have to head down to DMV to get the green/red sticker.When I do this, do I have to pay to pay tax?

Thanks

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Technically, you would need to pay tax on the purchase price of the bike. Unless it was out of state for 90 days for reason other than avoiding sales tax. If it was out of state at your vacation home or your buddies house, and you go to register after 90, there should be no sales tax and you can still get your sticker.

Actual results may vary, but this is what I've heard.

Mark

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
MobyP: i am glad you asked that question, it was bothering me also!

even if you cant get out of paying the tax, i would look into buying out of state since if you can get one still in the crate i dont think they will able to justify charging the $600-1500 setting up fee, i have looked at 4 dealers in san diego and none of them will let you have the bike in the crate, yet on for example the crf-450 they want to charge $1500 to bolt the front wheel and bars on....and then you have to pay taxon that fee also!, and its not like you get a warranty either! how can a $6300 bike cost $8500 out of the door, thats outragious!...i think most people wouldnt mind paying tax if they didnt have to pay some twozzer a grand to open their new toy box for them!

does anyone know what the deal is with second hand bikes bought privately? if you regeister do you have to pay tax also

cheers

bruce

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
I hope to soon be geting a new 02 cr 250 or the crf 450 from a place in TN
price for the 250 is $5,200 the 450 is $5,700 here in town there like $6,460 for the 250 and over $7,700 for the 450 wow what a diff there.

I got my 01 Erion 929 from the same guy was $8,100 I payed tax & tag here in Fl.total was $8,706. Here in town was over $12,700 for the same bike they would not come down one cent and it was a cash deal so I dont even mess with the shops here in town anymore.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
tileman

how did you do the deal? i have considered buying a bike in the crate over the phone using a credit card (should offer some protection), but any suggestions wellcome!

cheers

bruce

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
how did you do the deal?

When I did the deal for my street bike I called up and talked to him on a price then he faxed me a price & the bike VIN # and I set up a date to drive up to get it took about 10 hr up there from Fl. I had to get a bank check for the $7,600 made out to him and that was it. Took him a day to prep the bike but we stayed up there (wife & kids for 4 days) then drove back with my new street bike. I had to give him a $500.00 depost on the bike too befor we came up so he knew I was wanting the bike.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
I bought my GasGas second hand from a DRN member from OR. I took the bike to the DMV to get my sticker. They checked the engine and frame VIN, then I wrote them a check for $130.00 to cover tax and my GREEN STICKER!

They asked me what I paid for the bike.......of course I told them the truth:p

Rick

Top Bottom