Buying my Girl Friend a Bike - What do I get?

Indy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2002
I want to buy my girlfriend a new bike. Shes tired of riding the quad and watching us have fun on the bikes. She is a beginner, 6 feet tall, 140lbs (she will kill me if she knows I posted this info). I was thinking either a CRF 250 or a CR 125. I would probally put a fly wheel weight on the 125 and gear either one down. I'm leaing towards the CRF - just because its a little more user friendly - no mixing gas, etc. We like to ride mostly trails - sandy and rocky with lots of hills. The other girls that come riding have a CR85, CRF 150, TT 150 but these bikes are to small and I dont seem to have enough power. She sat on the a new Cr125 and it seemed to fit her pretty good. I would appreciate any suggestions.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
What kind of riding does she plan to do?  If it's mainly woods i would suggest looking at a kdx200 or a KTM200exc.   You say she is a beginner so i'd lean more towards the KDX.  The 125 in the woods would be a handfull for a beginner.  my $.02

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Have you thought of a KDX-200 or 220 to start out on? They are great bikes for beginners and experts alike. They are 2 strokes, so I guess you have like mixing gas, but they are great bikes that are nearly bulletproof. Everyone I know that has one absolutely loves it. They aren't pipey like a motocross bike so you wouldn't have to worry about getting the flywheel weight. It will even do ok on a motocross track, but it is defanitely more of a woods bike. You can't go wrong with the KDX!!!!!

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
I think a 250f would be a great bike to start on. She's tall enough that she could ride a wr too, if you dont want to wait for the honda. It would be better then a kdx for sure.

Indy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2002
Just wondering how much a KDX 220/200 weighs. Weight will be one of her deciding factors. I didn't even think about a KDX, thanks for the suggestion.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Dry Weight:

CR125 - 197# 

CR250F - 209#

KDX200 - 226#

Add fluids and protective plates on the bike and the weight goes up about 20# or more.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
It's your girlfriends height that is going to restrict her from most of the beginning bikes that are beginer friendly.The 4 stroke demands less attention.But the beginner bikes are under sized.Probably the honda 230 has the tallest seat height,but that's only about 33 inches.You could set her on one and see how flat footed she is.the above suggestions are good.You might really consider the KDX 200.Even a newer used one in good shape might be the way to go.the comparable bikes that are 4 strokes will be heavier than the KDX.the KDX is considered a beginner bike by some and less demanding than other 2 stokes and has plenty of low end.some simple mods made to them real improve bike response

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom