Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I was reading a thread from last spring about camping in your enclosed trailer. It ended with the idea of having a sleeping bed raised to the ceiling when not in use, so as to be able to still haul your bikes. Anyone followed through on this idea? I think it can be done. 3/8 plywood sheet with mattress on it. A pulley mounted to the ceiling and some cable into eye bolts on the front and rear could hoist it up out the way. Anyone try this or something similar?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A 3/8" sheet of plywood suspended by cables is NOT going to support an average sized man..... for long, unless you work in some cross bracing. I'd be a lot more inclined to fabricate a welded frame.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I'm going through this excerise at this time. Now that winter is here I have found that the trailer is an ice box.

So I tried 3/4 styrofoam insulation on the ceiling. Didn't help in a low 30F night.

Now I've insulated the walls with the 1" styrofoam insulation between the aluminum sheeting and plywood interior.

I've just finished making a fold down bed. The basic frame is made from 3/4 EMT conduit tubing. I've screwed a 1/4" piece of plywood on top of the frame.
I've also glued a sheet of 3/4" styrofoam insulation under the plywood.

I'll put a Camprest pad on top of the plywood when I fold it down.

The frame pivots on its length by using 1" conduit clamps. The clamps are mounted directly over the trailers' frame struts.

I'll post results of the next field test on 1/1/03.

I've tried an aluminum cot, it squeaked so much I couldn't sleep. I used an air matteress, you have to use a barrier thermal barrier like a Thermarest. :|

I got a 4000/9000BTU tent heater on order. :yeehaw: I tried a 1000 BTU tent heater, all it did was take the chill out of the air. (30F night)

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Patman, I'm not talking about sleeping on it while it is suspended. Just lower it down to the floor and then raise it out the way after you get up.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Jonala, I have had good experiences with those big kerosene heaters from wal-mart. Have you butt sweating. For a one or two nights, just fill it up once.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have a 1500 watt electrical space heater that I use in my 6x12 enclosed. Temps were in the low 30's outside, and we slept on an air mattress on the floor - no thermal barrier. Sleeping bags were down-filled and from the Korean war - army issue. We were plenty warm (with long johns / sweatshirt). Inside temp was 60 degrees throughout the night.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Can there be that much difference in heat capability between propane vs electric? :| With the electric heaters that must mean that you have the generator running all night.

My 1000 BTU heater must be putting out maybe 100 BTU's.

I found two internet sites that had tent size vs heating requirements. For my 5x10 enclosed trailer, one site had 9000 BTU's, the other site =3000 BTU's.

I will not get my new flame thrower before my next trip. :o

So one of these sites is wrong, or people will be able to huddle around my trailer as it glows from the excessive heat output.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Jonala
Can there be that much difference in heat capability between propane vs electric? :| With the electric heaters that must mean that you have the generator running all night.
I have a 100' 10 gauge extension cord plugged into an RV outlet where I camp/ride. I drilled a 2" hole in the bottom near a corner, and fashioned a PVC pipe with cap to seal it off when not in use. Extension cord runs up through hole and into the trailer.

I don't know much about using propane heaters in small enclosed spaces like a 6x12 that you sleep in, but I'd think that the fumes and safety issue would be a huge concern. I wouldn't want to wake up in the middle of the night looking like this guy -> :flame:

:scream:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have a propane tent heater too but i haven't tried it yet. i figured that i would leave the roof vent open for ventilation.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Bandit9
Patman, I'm not talking about sleeping on it while it is suspended. Just lower it down to the floor and then raise it out the way after you get up.
WHEW! It' would kinda' be a drag to break through while having a good snooze.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
All the staging areas here in N.CA have no electricity.

The tent heater that I have used is a catalytic heater. No fumes. I was skeptical my self when I tried a couple of weeks ago. I don't want to look like this :flame: either. :)

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Jonala, that was in the past. Now I have no dog or good woman. So, I have used this kerosene heater that I bought for my workshop. It puts out some serious heat. I like it b/c I don't need cords or have to deal with the generator itself. No lifting/noise/taking up space. I am not bashing generators, it's just the hassle of them plus dealing with other campers. The kerosene works for me. It is amazing how long they run on one fill up. I got the idea from when I was in the Army. We used them in those big GP tents. Good luck with your project. I will attempt to make my drop down bed thingy and let ya'll know how it works out.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
I use a cot with the thickest thermarest made and a $100 Coleman mummy bag. Works great. Getting out of bed in the morning into the cold air is another story.;)

A kerosene heater kinda freaks me out (the fumes) but it sounds like it works for you guys.

Top Bottom