Can 2000-2002 kdx 200 or 220 do mongo hilclimbs?

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
I've heard about how good the kdx'es do everything else offroad, but....Can a later model kdx 200/220 brutalize a mongo hillclimb without clutching a lot? Or Clutching at all?
B.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You will probably be happier on hill climbs witha 12 tooth counter shaft sproket or similar reduced gearing on the rear sproket. This mod enables you to reduce your climbing speed a little, but still be effective plus helps the power of the 200cc's. Cheers John

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sure, it can do hill climbs, but it is certainly not one of the bikes stronger points. More powerful bikes will pull 'drag' hills faster than a KDX. And on technical, steep, twisty, rocky nasty climbs, a more powerful bike can often pull 2nd gear in situations where the KDX might be reduced to 1st gear. A rider mistake or bad line on a 200 might mean you will have to stay in first all the way to the top, where a stronger bike can regain momentum and shift back up to 2nd.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I know of a hill around here that is 1st gear only no matter what bike you ride or how it's geared. It is long,steep, twisty and very rocky and loose. During the last turkey run, very few made it up the hill. The ones who tried 2nd gear had to do a panic downshift halfway up and then lose it. There were lots of people there to help pick up the riders bikes and push them up the hill :laugh: The KDX'ers in first gear were the champs. Just sit up close to the tank and blip...blip...blip right up the hill.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I agree with the reduced gearing. Maybe 13/52 or even 12/52. I'm thinking the FMF Torque pipe would work better too, so you don't fall off of the power band as easily.

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
I agree with Jackpiner, Grip the tank with your knees and get your head out over the front fender and she will take you in whatever direction you point. 12 tooth countershaft sprocket is reccomended. The DX will be slower in taking the hill, but more graceful, if there is such a thing.
Choosing a good line is a must!

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Just let it rip, first or second, just stay forward, pick good lines, let the suspension to the work and hang on for dear life. I run a 14/48 gearing here in South African, we have plenty of big hills and many of then with rocks and ruts, this works well for me and the added speed with the longer gearing helps you get over obstacles a little easier as you will be carrying more momentum.

If I come off I generally am not to concerned, I am blessed with a body that can take a good pounding and walk away with easy, I will be honest I don't fall to often, but when I do my 210lbs without riding gear bounces gracefully down the hill and provides some entertainment for my friends on bigger bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom