JonDunlap

Dec 29, 2013
I finally got my engine case for my sons 1987 suzuki 125. We are rebuilding the engine and the old cases were messed up so I ordered new ones and had a friend of mine strip them so we could re-paint them. When he brought them back to me we noticed that on top of the engine case, toward the back of the cylinder hole, there are what look to be a couple porting channels that come up to meet the top end. It looks like someone has put some sort of compound in these channels to try and block them or at least partially block them. Has anyone ever heard of doing this or know why someone would do it? Is it OK for me to take this stuff out? Also, what are these channels I am referring to? Whaat are they for? I f I can figure out how to post a pic I will.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sometime engine tuners will fill the ports with epoxy to change the fuel delivery characteristics. In that area it was probably also filled in on the cylinder ports to match what was done on the cases. If there is a radical mismatch between your cylinder and the case I'd grind the epoxy out to match.

JonDunlap

Dec 29, 2013
RM_guy said:
Sometime engine tuners will fill the ports with epoxy to change the fuel delivery characteristics. In that area it was probably also filled in on the cylinder ports to match what was done on the cases. If there is a radical mismatch between your cylinder and the case I'd grind the epoxy out to match.

IC, thanks for the info. I am going to assume I should grind it out then. The cases I ordered so they are not the original cases that came with my bike so they wouldn't have been set up in any way for the top end I have. Thanks again for the info.

Top Bottom