Can bent frames be straightened?

rougewarrior

Aug 9, 2002
My son went down today on his rm 65 and before he could move a bike lcrashed into him. the silencer was crushed and pushed into the diagonal frame rail bending it. Can this kind of damage be repaired?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rougewarrier.

If the tubing is not kinked it can most likely be straightened. If it is kinked, the damaged section can be cut out and replaced with new tubing.

Ol'89r

rougewarrior

Aug 9, 2002
Thanks Ol'89r,

A couple more questions, Should I have the dealer do it and will it be as strong as new?Thanks again

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
If you have a good welding shop nearby they certainly could do it.
If not, look in your phone book for "Harley" type shops. They all do frame straightening and repairs.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rougewarrior.

If it is bent, your dealer may be able to do it. Most likely they will want to sell you a new frame. If it needs to be welded or tubing replaced, IMO, it should be tig-welded. Most late model frames are made from 4130 chrome-moly tubing and this metal has to be welded in a special way or it can become brittle.

As Peer stated, a good welding / fabrication shop should be able to do it. Just be sure that they understand chrome-moly.

If you can't find someone in your area, PM or e-mail me and I may be able to help you.

Ol'89r

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Check with some local clubs. Many either have members or connections to shops that know all about welding up bike frames.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…