Can Lifetime Members do more for DRN?

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I was wondering...

This website is one of my top 3 sites of all time on the internet. The donation to earn Lifetime status was nice, both in terms of earning the status, as well as being able to contribute to the success of DRN. What if Lifetime Members wanted to do more for DRN? Has anyone ever inquired about a Double-Lifetime status? I, as I'm sure some and/or many others, have a blast on this site, and don't mind doing more than just the one-time donation that I've/we've already paid. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to donate 10% of my earning for the rest of my professional career or anything like that, but additional donations to DRN wouldn't be a big deal for some of us, especially in moderation.

Any ideas or suggestions from any of DRN's staff? Okie?

B

biglou

I know of at least one member who periodically "renews" their Lifetime Membership. Roughly annually, I think. I don't believe there are any cookies or anything that would stop a member from purchasing a subcription, a STM or LSTM option repeatedly. Maybe put a short note in the "Notes" box describing what you're doing. "Already an LSTM, just wanted to support the site." or something like that. To be honest, I wouldn't have thought of it had I not heard what the aformentioned member was doing. :o

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Another option might be to apply memberships to users that you deem good members and might not be able to do it themselves.

OR you could just send it to me and I'll be sure it gets used in the proper manner ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
How bout "Afterlifetime Member"?? I like it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks for the thought! But I think the best thing to do is figure-out how to make the freeloaders want to join. <-- the hard part.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
After 4-5 clicks a day they get sent to the "Anti-Up to Continue" page.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jaybird said:
After 4-5 clicks a day they get sent to the "Anti-Up to Continue" page.

:laugh: Jay has a way of cutting through all the fluff. :laugh:

Okie is correct, come up with ways to get the freeloaders to cough up $$.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
(shrug) If you don't want freeloaders, it seems like an easy way to deter them.

It's like welfare payments...make them easy to get and keep 'em coming and there will be no want or need to go find a job. Cut back on the freebies and folks usually find a way to cough up some coin.

There IS value added here at this site. Seems only reasonable that if you want to enjoy the wealth of services and knowledge that this place produces that we be expected to at least make it worth the site's while.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
One easy way is to support those who support the site... i.e. that list of sponsors on the left of your screen, & don't be shy about letting them know why you are doing business with them. ;)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
ScottYZ250 said:
I like Jaybird's idea! :clue:

I do as well, but Farmer John's idea makes the best long term sense. If you search, you can find numerous threads about how and why people don't believe that they should pay to support the site.

Truth is, only a small percentage of members actually support the site beyond the minimum level. Some perceive the minimum level to be "registered" ... this is the majority. Some perceive the minimum level to be "subscriber". Some perceive the minimum level to be "Support Team Member". Even less perceive the minimum level to be "Lifetime Support Team Member" and fewer still go so far as to continue to contribute even though they are lifetime members.

I am NOT trying to slam anyone with this, it is simply the reality that exists. Every web site that I am aware of trying to move to subscriptions (voluntary or not) is grappling with this issue.

In a wierd sort of way I would be willing to bet the percentages mirror the breakdown in the IRS stats quite closely. I haven't really got a guess as why, but I am willing to bet that it isn't off by much.

My reality is that you get out of it (DRN, life, whatever) exactly what you put into it.

I support DRN and I buy from businesses that support DRN as well. I do not shun the balance of the world, I simply try and remain aware of the potential impact my purchases have on those that are important to me.

Additionally, I ALWAYS tell them where I found them and ALWAYS say thank you for good service and/or support.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
double-secret probation?

You've been on that since DAY ONE Pred. :p

.... OH Damn, I guess if he knows then it's not double secret probation. :bang: OK, we'll put him on QUAD secret probation, that should really honk the big guy off. :rotfl:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
OK, we'll put him on QUAD secret probation, that should really honk the big guy off. :rotfl: [/i]

He likes Quads. It won't work. :bang:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
donating money was mentioned. Another way to support the site is to donate time. Most of us have experience or advice to share in one area or another, how to fix a bike, riding technique, which gear works the best, why o-ring chains are the best (Jaybird), etc...

this just makes the site a better place, and makes more people want to join. That being said, some of us (including myself) struggle to find free time these days. :(

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
motometal said:
... Another way to support the site is to donate time. Most of us have experience or advice to share in one area or another, how to fix a bike, riding technique, which gear works the best, why o-ring chains are the best (Jaybird), etc...

this just makes the site a better place, and makes more people want to join. That being said, some of us (including myself) struggle to find free time these days. :(

Great idea ... I am working on a ride report for Moab that I will post as a PDF file soon. I got the idea from what FC and Lori posted up in the Women's forum on bike selections.

What can y'all do write ups on?

Northern MI trails
Paragon
Hatfield - McCoy
Idaho
Kennedy Meadows
Colorado

How to change a (fill in the blanks)

Also ... Add to the review database. The more items we review, the more useful the database becomes.

Top Bottom