spark250

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic but......

I have very consistently been a big fan of Rich's response to dumb questions. (I'm sure a lot of guys are but I liked this response in particular)

I love that Rich takes the time to say these things, otherwise good websites can turn into garbage. I've posted replies like this on other sites and a moderator usually sends me a message saying, "how will this help him?". I usually let it go but I always want to say, it will help them think before wasting space!

anyways, below is a little excerpt from a reply yesterday.

This guy was talking about just flushing out a bottom end after his piston blew up like a hand grenade and ran through the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
I know alot of people blow top ends and don't split the cases.

Rich's response:

A lot of people do a lot of stupid things.

The cases need to be split and the main bearings inspected but more likely replaced. Same goes for the lower rod bearing.

It's apparent from the way you post out here, you'll keep posting this until someone tells you it's OK to do something dumb so I'll save us all the trouble if it will speed this process up.

Sure, just flush it out and run it. My cousin's friend's aunt's brother knows a guy who did this and it was fine.

There now, you got the answer you wanted.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup it seems like there are a growing number of people that join DRN looking for help, and then when they get a solid reply that tells them they need to spend some time or money to do things properly instead of hillbilly engineering a fix they just ask again and again. Oh and if you call them on it they get all lathered up and who knows where it goes from there, I have actually slapped the shackles on a couple recently beause of this type of behavior. Hopefully if they choose to come back they will have a better attitude, if not it's no loss to DRN. Dirt bikes are not a free or even cheap sport/hobby to be involved in yet a bunch of people seem to think bikes should be treated like your old Briggs lawn mower. Quality over quantity in my book.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
My favorite comment of Rich's was when he said...

That does about as much good as wearing a different color hat every other Tuesday

Or something like that.

I have used it on occasion since plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery :)

Ivan

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
XRpredator said:
hey now, don't go bashin' hillbilly engineering!

LOL!!!!

don't get me wrong I love hillbilly engineering, but there's a thin line between hillbilly and stupid.... I think :whoa:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, Rich has mellowed substantially over the years. It might be hard for some to believe, but he's far more gentle now.

I wish the mean old Rich would ocasionally come out and play with the etards who are a complete waste of ascii (some of my favorte Richisms).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's a warm and fuzzy feeling when you come across a group of people who hold mankind to a higher standard. Let's overthrow the government and let the DRN crew take over!!!!! :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I use the term hillbilly, just to be politically correct, seemingly. I do not believe they are looking for reparations or have any pending class action lawsuits?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
Rich has mellowed substantially over the years. It might be hard for some to believe, but he's far more gentle now.

Yes... he's a regular ol' fluffy bunny I tell ya :)

I owe him a lot for the education he has given me let alone the help and support he has given me.

Ivan

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Knowledge, help, what about the "Rich" vocabulary? I thought I was funny, PFFFFFFFFT! You could not teach anyone to do what he does, for 9 years? I can think of a few that people get called while I fix their plumbing!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I use the term hillbilly, just to be politically correct, seemingly. I do not believe they are looking for reparations or have any pending class action lawsuits?
That's why I used it. Well that and I've been accused of being a Redneck hillbilly at leasy once or twice :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't forget about the idiots that show up to be fed to Rich and keep things interesting!

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
Patman said:
Don't forget about the idiots that show up to be fed to Rich and keep things interesting!

HAHA. exactly! I guess I never thought about it that way but very true. I'm glad dumb questions keep popping up to keep me entertained! :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There are no dumb questions, just idiots that post stupid things either as fact or as the same question over and over hoping to hear what they want.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
spark250 said:
LOL!!!!

.... but there's a thin line between hillbilly and stupid.... I think :whoa:

I believe that this line is typically so thin that it ends up becoming invisible! :)

But do not get me wrong, occasionally you will hear about someone that indeed can be truely innovative in their back-yard workshop. :nod: ;)

Top Bottom