Can You Answer Some Questions For A Newbie?

DarbySS

Dec 11, 2006
I just bought my first dirtbike, a 2005 Honda CRF250R.

Since It was used, I wanted to do some fluid changes, etc. before my first time out. I changed the oil last night (which was easy), but my questions is the following: How accurate do you need to be with the amount when refilling the motor? The owners manual said .73 quarts, and I think I put in .75. I didnt have a device to measure ounces. Is that going to make a big difference or cause any damage?

My other question was about Air Cleaners. I've been told that you need to change these pretty much every ride to 2 rides. Is that accurate? (bear in mind I am a beginner, not racer). Also, I wanted to get your opinion on brands. I've looked at Uni-Filter, Ready Filter, and No-Toil. Are the pre-oiled/disposable filters a good buy? Or do you recomend the clean and re-use type? You can score multipacks (of the Ready Filters) on e_bay for pretty cheap. Would you stay away from any of the brands mentioned above?

Thanks so much for your help, this place is awesome.

Darby :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
1. I don't think two hundredths of a quart is going to seize up your engine. You should be okay.

2. Any of those filters are good. The change interval is dependent on conditions. On a very dusty day, you might change out/clean the air filter several times. If the conditions are right, you might not have to change/clean it for a few rides. I've heard good things about the ready filters, and anything that makes a job easier while still offering the same protection is a good thing in my book.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
It is best to clean the air filter often. But it depends on how long you ride and how dusty it is. Here in Cali I pretty much clean the air filter after every trip (One normal weekend trip or 1 race). It's pretty dry and dusty out here this year. I don't think the ready filters are made for every day use but if I am on an extended trip in dusty conditions I've bought one and swaped it out midway. They are used more as a disposable filter that can be tossed after they get dirty. I use the no toil filters but pretty much any of the ones you listed are fine.
Also, as Pred said the extra .200 of oil ain't going to hurt anything.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Pssst, over here.....don't tell anyone, but I've got all your problems solved

Go to Billywho.com
They have everything you need.
Filters
Factory fill bottles (gives you an exact measurement every time)
Man Funnel (makes getting oil in and out a breeze)
You can get the whole package at a discount over buying seperate. Check 'em out.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
MXSparx said:
Pssst, over here.....don't tell anyone, but I've got all your problems solved

Go to Billywho.com
They have everything you need.
Filters
Factory fill bottles (gives you an exact measurement every time)
Man Funnel (makes getting oil in and out a breeze)
You can get the whole package at a discount over buying seperate. Check 'em out.
spam is tasty. I like it fried with pineapple!

;)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
It's a good habit to change the air filter every ride. Cheap insurance for your motor. Ready filters arent bad, i had one in my KX250 with no problems. I cleaned & oiled it after every ride though.

Too much oil by that small amount should not hurt anything, it's when theres not enough when things can get nasty. Frequent oil changes is the best.

Billy Who makes some great stuff.

Top Bottom