Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I was reading lube labels at Walmart tonight, and marine grease seems like it would be perfect for bearings because it resists washout. Also, Pennzoil has a full synthetic 2 stroke oil for marine use. Would these be good to use in a KDX???

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Yes!

I use Pennzoil Marine Grease for the steering stem and rear linkage bearings on my KDX. I also use it to lube the wheel bearing on my trailer. I really like it. Very sticky/tacky.

This is copied from a previous post of mine:

I originally bought the Pennzoil marine "premium plus" grease for the EZ lube hubs on my trailer.

Descripton on tube is "multi-purpose, marine saltwater protection, washout and corrosion protection, NLGI grade #2 grease". The spec sheet is here: http://www.pennzoil.com/TechData/pd...arineGrease.PDF

Hope this helps!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Tom Ludolff
... Also, Pennzoil has a full synthetic 2 stroke oil for marine use. Would these be good to use in a KDX???
Can't comment on the Pennzoil 2 stroke oil, but a lot of very smart people here use Mobil One MX-2T for premix. I was only smart enough to take their advice!

It doesn't change the color of your gas, but it is a very clean burning oil. I like it! Good prices at AutoZone too!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: grease

If you can easily clean up (a quick wipe) after you're done, it's no good! A good grease is going to be a pretty sticky, cloying mess.

There has been report of a belray marine ap grease that does a good job. Certainly it being 'marine' isn't an issue.

If it's good enough to keep your lower shock mount bearing alive between service intervals, it's good enough.

Well...that interval should be at LEAST a couple times a year.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
ive used the pennzoil tcw3 premix for years,,,but it says on back you can use in a bike,, but im not sure about the full synthetic,,if it dont say for bikes, i wouldnt use it.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
I know in cars the oil is graded with and SAE service classification, check your present oil for one listed on the bottle, or in your manual and see if there is one one the bottle of the marine stuff. it goes in alphabetical order so for instance a rating of bc would be higher than aa Higher is better.
The only difference between synthetic and petroleum based is the shape of the molecules and the way it is made, petroleum based allthough slippery, on the molecular level has square and oblong shaped particles(picture marbles and building blocks mixed together).
A synthetic on the molecular level has a consistent marble shaped particulate. obviously better, like a giant, liquid bearing.
I am a fan of full synthetics, I have researched them and discussed them with engineers from auto companies who interact daily with oil reps and technicians. they say synthetic is excellent except when breaking a motor in, then they say it is too good, it wont let the rings seat.
Just my .02
Tim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom