ritchy31

Dec 28, 2004
hello everybody,
I' m not an mx rider properly but i'm trying to rebuild the kyb mono shock off my road bike (yam fzs 600 fazer). I guess my shock is building in the same way that a kyb motocross shock.
So, after searching documents about motorbike shock rebuilt, I try to do it on mine.
my problem:
I can't push down the seal head on the body of the shock for taking out the circlip. I try to tap it with a hammer and a small bar of steel without results. I try to push this seal using a piece of tube around the seal as a seal head driver. Unsuccesfull....
I've, of course, release all the pressure inside.

excuse me for my poor english (I'm french...)
I hope my thread isn't out of subect in this forum.
Thanks.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The shock maybe overfilled or full of air(they are not well bleed from new) you might need to let a little oil out-if it doesnt have the bleed screw at the top( a few mx kybs do) then you need to remove the compression adjuster-be care full as you often have to drill out the peens and also dont fully undo it, as it might pop out and damage the threads-loosen just enough for oil to seep out.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Marcus, If possible, can you please explain how to properly bleed a shock??? I THINK I did mone correctly, but it appears extremely east to overfill.

Do you compress the shock all the way while the bladder is inflated to 10 psi??? Or shoulc the bladder be empty?

ritchy31

Dec 28, 2004
sorry, but was is a "peen"?
Furthermore, my shock don't have any compression or rebound adjustement. (yes, shock on road bike can be very "simple"...).
Even if I have release the pressure in the bladder through the schreader valve, there is still some air in the shock. I know that, because when the shock is upside down, I can move the shaft very easily at the end of the stroke. I deduce that the valve is moving in air instead of oil.
Hope you understand me.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
There could be a possibility it is built like the yamaha banshee shock .They have a double clip. one above the seal head and one right under the seal head above the piston. this will not let the seal head to move to access the first clip. If it is I would recomend you take it to someone who has worked on them, as they are buggers. Just a suggestion as I haven't seen the bike shock that you talk of.

Russ

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
i adgree with russ, a peen is a dent made on the compression adjuster threads to discourage you from taking them apart.If you have no adjuster i dont know what to suggest.

Top Bottom