steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hi, need some help with a rebuild on a kyb shock out of a 99' kdx.
the seal was leaking oil down the shaft.so after reading mx-tech's articles and eric's book i pulled the shock to bits. my question is on the seal head the oil seal is under a thick metal washer that is retained under a foam bumper piece. i was able to prise the bumper out but cannot remove the washer (and hence the seal) as the seal head looks like it is peened over the washer making it captive. so how do i get the seal out? do i have to un-peen (?) the seal head first then bend the lip back when re-assembling?
any help would be appreciated. also is atf oil ok in a shock or do you need proper shock oil?
thanks.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
You will have to un peen the seal head . After the top out rubber is removed . take a socket that is a bit smallere than the opening into the seal head . put the socket into a vise, put the seal head over the socket and slowly bend out the peenied over portion until the washer will come out. Replace the seal and bushing and repeen it . Or you can buy a complete seal head.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
thanks for the help guys. that dirtbike 101 link is great, easy to understand and follow.
managed to unpeen the seal head and replace the shaft seal and du bush without any problems. got some motorex 5w shock/fork oil so i can do the job properly, man that stuff is thin! its looks like water. anyway just got to finish bleeding it then im done. thanks again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom