Jan 16, 2005
I consider myself pretty diligent about doing regular once overs on my bike before I ride. oil/gas/check for tightness, etc. As with you guys I'm sure, it's kind of second nature right?

My head was in the clouds this morning, or else I was too busy trying to figure out the best combination of layers I should wear out on the trail. :think: It was high 30's when we were unloading, and was supposed to get into the mid to upper 40's by midday.

We get about 2 miles out and I realize I forgot my elbow guards :bang: I never forget those! Next to my knees, my elbows feel the most vulnerable without protection. So we turn around and head back to the trailer, slide them on and we're off again.

About ten miles out I hear this really annoying clacking sound coming from the front of the bike, I stop and I'm sure it's just one of the cables slapping the fork tubes or something. My bro-in-law points down and says with a smile "Hey your fancy little rotor protector is about to fall off" Sure enough, I have the Devol guard and it has managed to loosen up just enough to be sliding around on the axil, it can't fall off, but It's annoying the hell out of me none the less. Anyone have any ideas how these things loose their tension please let me know.

Shortly after that we were riding around in an area with a lot of short climbs, big berms (thank you quads) and your basic garden variety fun stuff. I shut the bike off to talk to my bro-in-law for a minute and upon restarting I kick down, and my heel slams into the ground and I thought I hyperextended my knee! My kickstarters gone. Fortunately it was laying right there in the mud. Now I'm looking like a total ass, and making excuses as to how that could have happen and with a quick tap and a push it was back on and off we went.

After finally getting back to the truck, we ate real fast, packed up and as we loaded my bike in I looked down and realized one bolt on my sidestand was just about to fall out...

All in all it was a good day of riding, and as far as parts falling off, I attribute it to the fact that I "must be riding harder and faster!" :laugh:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
When things like that happen...I always proclaim Sabotage! Usually blame it on who I am riding with... makes them real uncomfortable! :laugh:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, a little semi-permanent loctite on the kickstarter nut and the sidestand bolts have been recommended on KDXs since before I got my first one (1984). They will quickly come loose. You are lucky you found your kicker - you would not have been the first to lose one on the trail! The sidestand dangling can cause a nasty crash.

While we are talking weak points of the KDX, another is the chain guide. I have seen 3 get broken on the trail. If you don't get a stronger one from Fredette, make sure you always carry the tools to remove your stocker on the trail. In the rocks or ruts it can get bent and wedged against the chain, preventing you from rolling the bike.

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
On the last couple of rides, I've lost the kickstart nut, seatbolt, and the left number plate screw (and I regularly check my fasteners!). :)

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
Lost the kickstand bolt on my 1990 200 and on my 2001 220. My bro lost his kickstarter AND 1 kickstand bolt on his 2000 220.... looks like pretty common problem

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
I always just say that those parts had to be sacrificed to the riding gods so that i could have a good ride.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Damn right. I bring a tool for every bolt and a box of spare bolts whenever I go out, freaking sucks!
I even bought a trail tow from Moose because my throttle cable snapped in the woods a couple miles
from the nearest road and I never want to have to push a bike through the woods again. Darn things are definitely not made to be pushed.

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the input. I guess I was just surprised how so many things went wrong on one ride. I used to even carry a spare lever with me. (snapped the clutch lever once) Since I got the AVS levers that fold back, I don't anymore.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
That is allot!
Personally I haven't had anything come off unless the bike was performing multible flips in the air. Last ride with my brother ... he lost his kicker when he dumped it on a couch rut. Luckily when I picked his bike up I noticed the kicker laying there after feeling for it to start it for him. Couldn't find the nut but luckily the dealer keeps 'em in high stock. Pretty common lost item. Ironically, they also had little bitty tubes of loc-tite red.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
StuckinJersey said:
Damn right. I bring a tool for every bolt and a box of spare bolts whenever I go out, freaking sucks!
I even bought a trail tow from Moose because my throttle cable snapped in the woods a couple miles
from the nearest road and I never want to have to push a bike through the woods again. Darn things are definitely not made to be pushed.

I broke my throttle cable last weekend... :(

Luckily we had a quad with us...had a tow strap and pulled me back to camp. No spare on hand, so my day was done... :|

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Just out of curiosity (and not to totally change the subject) :)

Where in NJ are you riding? I'm up in Sussex County and figure as long as there is no snow.... ;)

Shoot me a PM or an email and let's ride! :cool:

Dave

Jan 16, 2005
Dave, I'm down in Warren Cty. I'm always up for last minute rides before the weather turns to you know what. I was looking at some studded tires online last nite. Might have to invest in some soon.

Do you ride local, or do you go out to one of the big areas in PA? Paragon, Tower City, Rausch. We have a camper out at TC. I used to have a nice spot that nobody knew about, I rode there most of the summer by myself till I got Lymes disease from the damn deer ticks.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I believe Kenda has a decent Ice tire that runs around $80 without the studs...(K335 V Ice Tire)

or you could always stud up a set of these! (M&H Teraflex)

http://www.intercotire.com/site53.php

250.jpg
251.jpg

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
rubbersidedown said:
I wonder how those ^^^ would work with the kold kutter screws, or just go for the trelleborgs.

i don't know, but I can tell you these are the beefiest tires I'v ever seen, the lugs themself aroue about an inch high. They even advertise that once they start to round off, you can simply take and cut them square again for the next season! :yikes:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
StuckinJersey-

Hey! Where did you buy your Moose Trail Strap? I see them on Moose's webiste, but you can't order off their website. :think:

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
My local shop is a Moose dealer so I had them order it for me but had to wait a couple weeks for it to come in. Never had to use the thing yet and hope I never do but still better than pushing it.

Top Bottom