Which car for a teenage girl (which one will she look hott in?)

• Black late-model Mustang Convertible

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • White Jeep Wrangler

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Something else...

Votes: 60 56.6%

• Total voters

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Hucker
Whatever she can afford on her own. :)

I think we have a winner!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Actually that is good advice from Hucker. :thumb:

Most of my friends that recieved cars from their parents wrecked them or didnt take care of them. The ones that had to work to get them took better care of them.

My first car was a 71' Lemans with a 350. Boy that car sure was a tank to drive and survived every stupid thing i ever did. I got to the point were i thought that car couldnt be wrecked.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I'd say I'd agree with Hucker, too. There's nothing wrong with driving an old car to school. If they're too embarassed--they can walk . Doesn't seem practical? I don't agree.

At the same time, my kids @ 6 & 1, are spoiled mercilessly by myself (mainly)--so I really have no room to talk.

I bought a lot of junk with my own money, until my parents sent me to college and knew I had no way of getting there and back safely. They dug into a savings of mine, and bought a brand new car--and I hated it. No comment. But my favorite vehicle of the time was a 76 Ford 2 wheel drive pickup w/ 360 4sp. with an 8-ball shifter, painted with a spray can, etc....ad infin itim. Good, solid, reliable rod that would burn out for about 2 blocks. And the chicks digged it. ;) T/A's? Camaro's? No--they liked the 'ol pickup.

It's too bad it's not that way, anymore. Kids think they 'deserve' something, so it seems, so long as their parents can afford it. Sure, I could buy a nice car for either of my kids when they're ready for it, but I'm not planning on it.

However, how do I rationalize getting my son a new bike every few years, and not buying him a car? Uh oh. :ugg:

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
On a Serious Note: Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for American teenagers. A Vehicle load of friends lead to excitement, distractions and peer pressure while driving... something a teen does not need to deal with while learning to drive. For this reason, you may want to consider a Pick-up with bucket seats. A 2000-03 Toyota Tundra or 2002-03 Dodge Ram offer some pretty good protection and limit the number of distractions... er I mean occupants she could haul. If she is set on a Sport Utility, Jeeps do not crash well... meaning the likely hood of injury is high. A 2002-03 Honda CR-V, a 2003 Volvo XC90, 2001-03 Acura MDX or a 2001-03 BMW X5 would be a better choice over the Jeep. The 2003 Subaru Forester would be a good option too... plus it has all-wheel drive which makes driving in hazardous conditions a bit less hazardous.

The Mustang is Kewl, but I'd stay away from that until she has a bit more experience.

I know these are all newer vehicles, but they also incorporate the latest in safety features... Airbags, Anti-lock brakes, Crumple zones... etc. If money is an issue, there is a lot to be said about some of the older vehicles out there that have a lot of iron wrapped around the driver.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
When I was 17 a group of us were driving to a graduation party (read: "kegger"). There was a pickup truck a few cars ahead of us loaded with kids ages 16-18. Probably 3 riding up front, and another 6-8 riding in the bed. All probably drunk or stoned as this was graduation party season.

Anyway, the truck was hot-dogging it down the road, and made a quick sharp left hand turn at an intersection onto another road. 4 people sitting in the bed flew out onto the road. We came up upon them right after it happened. I vividly remember standing a few feet away from a lanky kid with shoulder-length blond hair, sprawled out in a twisted, contorted position on the pavement, head and hair laying in a pool of blood that was quickly increasing in size. He had a tank top on, and those burn-out moccasin boots that went up to your knee and had fringe along the back. The guy wasn't moving, but the 3 others, sprawled out over a 20' area, were moaning and crying. The guy driving the pickup had pulled over onto the shoulder soon after the people flew out. He looked back at his friends lying there, saw all the blood, freaked out, and tore off down the road - scared sh*tless I imagine.

The graduation parties the rest of that summer where never quite the same after seeing that accident....

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Anything RWD spells trouble for new drivers... so I guess that rules out the Mustang and Jeep. I've had to buy all my cars... no hand outs... but I'm the wiser now! Whatever she can afford sounds about right! And yes, Camaro's are fun. I miss my Iroc... nothing like a TPI350, but I don't miss the cost in gas, tires, and insurance! For a newer driver... get her a big American FWD, like a Bonneville, or a Tarus. Decent cars, run long if you take care of them, and can be bought super cheap!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Stay away from a convertible ANYTHING for a new driver. Why do I say this ...Cause my 16 year old daughter rolled her 1997 Mustang in a ditch and walked away without a scrath. If that would have been a convertable she would have definitely been hurt if not killed. As far as the integrity of the car it held up resonably well. It was totalled of course but the roof held up and the damage to the interior was minimal.

Mustang .. YEAH .. Convertible .. NO WAY!

Been there done this.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
If she's concerned about her image, just throw some hydraulics and a set of Daytons on her Volvo.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Call your insurance agent and ask what full coverage insurance will be on a new mustange convertable for your 16-year old daughter. I think that might help your decision process, but if money is no option I would have to go with a late model camaro or TA, with T-tops as a pretty cool high school car.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Both of my daughters took turns driving my grandfathers old K-car until they saved enough for down payments on their new Toyota and Honda. I convinced them to buy 4 doors, for safety reasons, cheaper insurance, (they pay for that too!), and more room for kids when that day comes.
Since they are responsible for the care of their cars also, they're very careful with them!

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
too many parents here! go straight for the 'stang. although im partial to the earlier fox bodies, and ya better make it a five-oh yall.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I don't mean to be a party pooper here but the fact is a lot of us here at DRN are parents and already have the experience of being a teenager. Yea, I'm an old fart, but if sounding like an old fart means someone isn't gonna lose their kid, then so be it.

I plan on getting something for my son at age 14 and letting him work on it with me. It can be fast but it will have a lot of steel too. By the time he is 16 and old enough to drive he will. When he breaks the rules he's gonna pay and that will spell a whole lotta hurt when he has to ride the bus.

That's jus' the facts. When it's YOUR kid you'll feel the same way.

Chief

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
To be OLD and WISE you must first be YOUNG and NAIVE.... Thank GOD a lot of us older folks made it thru the YOUNG and NAIVE stage alive.

What thought process would lead a wise and responsible adult to hand a smart but naive kid on a learners permit the keys to 5.0 liter rear wheel drive Muscle Car?

Maybe if..... She has been driving since she was 10 and has demonstrated the ability to be responsible and drive on the family farm or some other place prior to getting a learners permit... There are exceptions but I'd have to know a whole lot more to put her in the seat of a Muscle car on her 16th birthday.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by zio
If she's concerned about her image, just throw some hydraulics and a set of Daytons on her Volvo.

Daytons are played out sucka! Got's to have da spinnahs, fool. Sprewell's and they better be 22's.

Peace out.

-jeffd

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
My first car was a '91 Jeep Wrangler, with a 4cyl engine. I called it the gutless wonder. Top speed was maybe 91mph, and the back seat was so small I could barely fit 2 people back there. I think the most I ever had in the car at any one time was 4, and even then it was cramped.

In the state of Oregon new drivers under the age of 18 have to wait a year before they can drive with anyone else under the age of 18 in the car. This was only made law when my 18 year old brother started driving. I would be curious to see the statistics.

Looking back, I don't think my parents should have bought me a car quite so 'cool' and expensive. I kind of got an attitude about vehicles that isn't very financially savy. When it's time for my kids, that is when I have kids, to start driving I will help them buy a car, but I don't think I will come out and buy one for them.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
If you decide to go with the Wrangler, get a TJ model (1997 & up). The TJ models have good brakes, airbags, and Cherokee-based coil spring suspension. They ride well, stop well, and have decent handling characteristics. A 4 cylinder automatic would keep her speed down too. The Wranglers have removable rear seats - that's one way you could limit the number of distractions.

I rode a street bike (a two-stroke Kawi 400 triple) to school for 2 years. I didn't even have a car until I was 19.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Well, since she's a teenaged girl, ya just KNOW theres gonna be a few dents and squiggles in the sheetmetal within a week or 2.
"But DADDY! I never use THAT door anyways. Like GOSH!"

So buy her something that a few caved in body panels wont deter from the vehicles overall appearence.
Chevy Avelanche?
Pontiac Aztec?
Ford Focus?
bbbbbwwwwwahahahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jeff:

The idea of "helping" her buy a car is OK, but she really needs to feel the pain or she will not respect the car and that could follow her for a long time.

My kids are almost 30 and they got help for us buying their first car. Both had been in minor accidents and my daughter had got a couple of tickets within the first few months of getting the cars. My son burned up his engine (because he didn't check the oil) and had to walk or ride with his twin sister for almost a year before saving up enough money that we lent him $250 so he could get a car of his own again. They are not angels now, but they do take care of their vehicles.

Go with a old 4 door for the first year of high school and then help her get something else after she shows responsibility.

My first two cars were given to me and I trashed both of them. The third I bought and wrecked myself without any of their help. After that I began to make the connection. I am amazed that I lived through the STUPID stuff I did in my 350HP/327 4 speed 1966 Chevy II.

I have told many people that the good Lord kept me alive for some reason. I still haven't figured it out ... maybe telling others how stupid I was is it. :laugh:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Here's another way to view the situation...what about being embarassed for getting your child a really nice first car? This is the least important of concerns, of course, but what about this scenario:

In 8th grade, an uncle took me 160mph in a 69 Big Block Vette south of Leoti, KS with open headers burning the fiberglass floorboards (at the time, he was 4th in the nation in roundy-rounds type racing, don't recall the details). Needless to say, I was hooked. At the time, big block midyears (63-67) were my favorite, but WAY out of reach due to price. I think at that time, a good, solid one was going for 40 grand to 60 grand (now, about 80 to 100).

One day, while a junior in highschool, I was picking up some farm parts in Ulysses, KS and spotted a cherry looking 66 big block coupe...black with a red stinger. Brand new interior. The thing was for sale, and for 7500 bucks. :eek: I came back with my dad, after begging him incessantly and for days, and test drove it. This thing had 6 inch uniroyals on it, and really low gears (at least 4:11's or 4:56's)---hell, I couldn't keep the thing on the road. This was one of the most ass loose cars I ever drove, and would just boil the meats forever. Dangerous as hell.

Now we've got this great car, at an unbelievable price, that you'd definitely never lose money on, no matter what you did with it. Instantly, upon buying the thing, you would have been 20,000 bucks ahead. What a car. What an investment.

Problem was...this is a highschool kid with a lead foot and no business driving a 30 to 40 thousand dollar car to school. Thankfully, he refused to let me buy it. Even though that car was one of those 'golden' finds, I don't blame him for not letting me have it. I was sad, but now understand. I wouldn't have let my son buy it now, either. No matter the cost. It's just flat embarassing.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I'd say go for the mustang. I'd date her just to drive it. Especially if you bought her one of the cobra or bullit mustangs. I'd think she would look better in that than a jeep. For some reason when i see I jeep I think redneck. hahah Well I turn 16 this tuesday and get my license middle of july (stupid law) and I already have my car. It's a 1991 Dodge Stealth 5spd. and BRIGHT fire engine red. I love this thing. You wont have to worry about me speeding too much cuz this thing stands out. You can see it comming. I guess from what everyone is saying the only good part is that it's pretty much only a two seater. Its got a back seat but only some circus midgets could fit in it. I didnt pay for it, my parents did but most of that is because we live in the country and there was no easy way for me to get to and from a job. Wants I get my license I will have to get a job and pay for insurance, which I think is a pretty good deal (they buy the car I pay insurance) I know all about taking car of things that they buy me. If I crash and bend the handle bars I buy new ones. That type of thing.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by 01HondaCR
I'd date her just to drive it.

You must be quite the prize .. :debil:

Originally posted by 01HondaCR
You wont have to worry about me speeding too much cuz this thing stands out. You can see it comming.

THATS a great reason not to speed...

I wouldn't let you take my dog to the vet... :uh:

I think I'll save your words to show my daughter 8-9 years from now...thanks

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
He said he wasnt taking this poll seriously. I was trying to have a little fun here. Sorry you couldnt see that. I'm not the kind of guy who would date a girl just because of the car she drives. Thanks for jumping all over me.

Top Bottom