dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
03 KDX220. On several occasions I have noticed fuel streaming out of the lower carb drain hose. Yesterday, after a long ride I shut off the engine and fuel was draining preety fast. I shut off the fuel valve and it seemed to stop it. I have also seen it occur when standing still but reving the engine. Any ideas why this is occuring. Someone mentioned that my float may be sticking, does this sound right?

Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You'll get a better result (less peeing) with a 17mm level than a 16mm level.

If your needle is bad (note above link) OR the seat condition is poor the seal obviously will not be very good.

You can clean up the seat with a stip of wet-n-dry (say 400) wrapped over a q-tip. Clean the seat with a rotational motion applied to said 'tool'. You can see the result on the q-tip. Remove cotton as needed to completely reach into the needle seat.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Hi dougjc,

From the year of your bike I'm guessing it’s pretty much new. Chances are good one of the following is your problem; 1) the float level was set too high from the factory and needs to be adjusted, 2) there is some debris stuck between the float needle and its seat preventing it from closing properly or 3) the frame work around the float is tweaked a little causing the float to hang up/stick a little.

While you have the float bowl off to address the float level it would be a good time to make some jetting adjustments as well, assuming your still running stock jetting.

New KDX? - be sure to service your suspension linkage soon if you haven't already.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
RE: new bike

I've dealt with two brand new hondas..new off the showroom floor..that had carb float problems due to needle damage. Their problems were resolved with needle replacement.

Point: just cuz it's new doesn't mean the needle is not a problem.

Be sure to adjust the float level as listed above. Do not bend the floats!

BTW, this is a common kdx occurrence. Happens to a lot of 'em. Don't go feelin' speshul! ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Hope you have better luck adjusting than I did my first time.

The pic in CD's Float adjust article messed me all up since the carb seems to be tilted the opposite way it should be. As pictured wouldn't the tang be pushing the needle rod in fully

Anyway I tilted mine the other way and adjusted it, so I thought...... I put it back on the bike and she peed like crazy! Oops bent the tang the wrong way :confused:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Can't look at the pic too hard, I think.

It shows the floats in a 'downward' facing position (putting pressure on the needle pin)...but the part they seem to be facing toward looks like a fuel bowl. ;)

I don't know what it's supposed to be......picturewise.

It does say 'bowl mating surface.' That's pretty straightforward.

'As pictured..' it would be pushing against the needle for sure...'completely' or not would depend on how much tilt.

Maybe why he says, 'tilt the carb until the tang on the float just makes contact with the needle rod protruding from the float valve. ;)

Maybe you adjusted your float about the time you got that CT90?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Yes, it is possible that a few Black Butte Porter's may have been consumed at the time! ;)

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
Thanks for all the help. I rejetted a month ago so maybe something is out of alignment. I will check it out.

Thanks.

ghbyram

Jun 18, 2003
I {seemingly} fixed it through a pretty low tech method: 5 or 6 taps against the side of the carb with the handle end of a screwdriver. Don't know that it really fixed anything but don't know that it didn't either ... been two weeks and still no peeing.

Top Bottom