Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I have a 2000 KDX 200 motor coming in the mail for my 04 Honda CR125 hybrid that I am making. The motor does not include the carb. I am eventually going to make the motor into a 220. I noticed that the 200 and 220 have different size carbs. I really dont want to have to buy two carbs. I do have the Mikuni powerjet carb off of the honda. Suggestions?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
A 2000 KDX200 came with a version of the Keihin PWK35. The 220's came with a PWK33. Check www.buykawasaki.com for the stock jetting. I don't know about mounting the Mikuni to the stock flange. You may be better off to try the PWK35 style. All the carb swaps I can remember being discussed are from the 33mm 220 carb to a 35mm KDX200 carb. www.rb-designs.com can modify a stock carb to better fit your needs.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
I bought a new PWK35 for my `98 KDX220 so I have a used stock KDX220 carb (PWK33) sitting in a box on my shelf I'm not using. If you need, let me know...we can work something out. I rebuilt it after I installed the 35mm unit.

You can check sudco out for carb prices. I though they were decently-priced.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
Dan105, that will be a sweet motor/frame combination! Are you aiming to make a weapon for new england woods, i.e. looking for lots of low end grunt? The intended use will dictate desirable carb size, pipe choice, etc. What size is your Mikuni carb?

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Glad2ride- Is it safe to say that for topend/rev motor whether its a 200 or a 220 that a 35mm is the best. And that the 33mm would be better for bottom end power whether its on a 200 or a 220?
I rode a 220 that was ported by a company in CT and I think it had a 33mm carb on it with some mods, that thing absolutely Ripped. I have rode all sizes and makes of motors and never been soo impressed with the way that motor went.

If I can get a 33 for cheap and it will work on the stock 200 motor then I will do it and it should be fine when I bump the size of the jug to 220, and then have the carb mods done to match the porting i have done.

Mandark1967- toss me an email at [email protected]

Blackduc98- I have always wanted to build a 200 HS bike but never had the money. I hate Ktm's and cant afford a gasgas. I am way too aggresive for a Kdx chassis but love the kdx motor when it has mods. Soo the only logical choice for me would be to build a hybrid 200.
When I started looking I wanted to get a YZ125 and put a WR200 motor in it like MarkEngland did on this site. I have a new 05 YZ250 that is my Harescramble race bike. Soo i really wanted to build a yamaha 200, but beggers cant be choosers.
I got the Cr out of the want ads for a grand with a seized crank. The thing doesnt even have much time on it, soo it was a great deal. A new crank is cheap soo I will make out great selling the motor. I looked for a kdx motor for months but couldnt afford the ones going on the big site. Soo I finally found someone parting a bike out online and got the motor for 390 to my door.
The bike is being built strickly as a survival race bike. I got 98 Rm250 forks online for 99 bucks. Great offroad forks when valved. Just have to make spacers soo they slide in the clamps and all the honda stuff will work with RM wheel spacers. Anyways.............. I am going to tell the suspensin shop to set it up for full on rocks and roots. I want bottom out of the engine but its not my main goal. I need somthing that is easy to ride, hooks up, but has a hit to get up to speed. The motor mods will probably feel close to a ktm 200 but not quite as hyper. I am probably moving back to Georgia after the summer soo that could change the way I set the motor up.
The mikuni carb is a 38mm tmx

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
I don't mean to speak for glad2ride (since you asked him this question) so I hope you won't mind me offering my opinion here. You describe the trend correctly, i.e. a smaller carb is better for low end power. As an example, my 250cc 2-stroke trials bike has a 26mm carb because it is all about the low end. Many folks on this site are very happy with the rb-designs carb mod which involves installing a horizontal divider plate into the carb, so at low throttle openings it acts like a much smaller carb for better low end performance.

BTW, who is doing your suspension?

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
thanks for the info.
I am thinking of going back to FC. I have had bad luck with suspension the last few years. I want to try Mxtech but I kinda want a shop that is within driving distance. FC is a hour from me.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
From what I have read, the 200 portin is more mid - top and the 220 is more mid - bottom. They come with carbs to go with that.

Thanks for the info on the 26mm carb, blackduc!! That really makes it clearer for me. I know some 125cc MX bikes come with 36mm carbs stock, which is a fair amount smaller percentage wise than a KDX200 or KDX200.

Maybe you can check for a cached save of Eric Gorr's old KDX225 (223cc I think) kit. It came with porting as well. It may mention carb size or mods on there, but I am not sure.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
Dan105 said:
thanks for the info.
I am thinking of going back to FC. I have had bad luck with suspension the last few years. I want to try Mxtech but I kinda want a shop that is within driving distance. FC is a hour from me.
Your other option would be Peter Kates at GMD Computrack in Bellingham, MA. He races in the NETRA enduro series with pretty good success, but that's about 2 hours from you.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Dan105 - Lemme locate the thing...I've had so many shipments come in over the last few weeks that I will need a week or so to go through all my boxes to locate it.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
blackduc98 said:
Your other option would be Peter Kates at GMD Computrack in Bellingham, MA. He races in the NETRA enduro series with pretty good success, but that's about 2 hours from you.
I dont know. I tried a smaller shop in Penn last year that ECEA guys were praising, I wasnt happy at all. I'm going to think hard about who i give my suspension to.

Mandark-- no rush. I am on hold for a week or two anyways.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Dan105 said:
I dont know. I tried a smaller shop in Penn last year that ECEA guys were praising, I wasnt happy at all. I'm going to think hard about who i give my suspension to.

Mandark-- no rush. I am on hold for a week or two anyways.

cool.

As to the part about who you send your suspension to, I am the same way.

If it's worth anything, I just ordered the turn key option from Jeremy at MX-Tech today and will be shipping him my shock and forks this week to be rebuilt and sprung. I'll let ya know how it goes...

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Mandark -- Any word on the Carb? I am putting the engine in today. Soo I need a carb in the next few weeks.

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
hey i would try to fit the cr carb because it will fit the std airbox on the bike, it should be a 38mm which will give good top end power, and maybe run a 12th front sprocket. It might be easier to mate up at the reed side of the carbie.

Top Bottom