Masu

Dec 29, 2001
I know, I know, I bet this has been hashed out at least 100 times, but forgive me, I must be stoopid, but I cannot find the answers I need. I have read the great articales Canadian Dave has written, and I have the software from James Dean, and I've read the Eric Gorr and Mr. KDX pages too, but.....

Well, just to re-cap what I have and have done.

1997 KDX 220 SR (in Japan, the SR is an auto oiler bike)

The bike has 3000 km on it. I don't know if the bike has had the top end done, I suspect not.

FMF Rev Pipe
RSV silencer
Boyesen power reeds #607
Kehin PWK 35 mm carb, (designed for the KDX 220 SR)
Cut away about half of the top of the airbox, (the other half is supporting the coputer chip thing)
Twin Air air filter
13T front sproket (stock on the SR is 14T)
#155 main
#48 Pilot
Air screw is at 1/4 turn

A "R2072J" needle. (EEN)
Clip on the #2 spot (second from the top of the needle)

Now this is my area of main concern. This needle is the stock needle supplied by Kehin to be used in the PWK 35 carb when the carb is fitted to the 220 SR. I don't know if it is for a straight swap of carbs only, or if they have taken into consideration pipe and airbox mods too.

It seems to me that this is the wrong needle.

I see the that everyone recommends the CEJ CEK or CEL needles for a similar set-up with the 220 R.

I cannot get this needle in Japan! they are only made for the US market, what gives?

I think it may have something to do with the fact that the US 220 is an "R" model while in Japan there is an "R" and an "SR" , I think :)

Could it have to do with the fact that on the "R" bike the gas and oil passes throught the carb, while on my "SR" only the gas passes throught the carb, being injected with oil in the intake boot?

While at the local parts shop the guy there phoned Kehin directly, and they say that is the needle to use.

BTW, the bike runs great, but I'm always looking for more or smoother operation. It does stumble a tiney bit between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle, but only a bit.

Cheers!

Top Bottom