Carburetor is overflowing bad, how to fix?

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
My wife rides a TTR125 and recently the overflow valve/hose to the carb has been flowing fuel big time. It just pores out whenever the gas is "on". I am not experienced at fixing Carbs, but this is what I think is happening: The fuel is filling the carb bowl and causing it to overflow and it is leaking/flowing out the overflow valve/hose.

I am not sure what is causing, but I did take it apart, it kind of looked like the float valve was not totally out or extended (lack of spring tension?)) when the floats are all the way down (or when the bowl is empty), so maybe it was isn't moving properly? I did clean it and put it back together and it worked OK for a bit, but then started again. I took it apart again and cleaned it much better, and it was OK for a little while, but eventually it did the same thing.

Any Ideas?????

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
btw, is there anything else that might cause the carb to overflow (floats have a hole or crack? There is some valve that isn't shutting off the flow of fuel from the gas tank????)??

redzoomer

Dec 24, 2005
Sound like you are getting little pieces of trash in there or you have on piece and it is just moving when you clean it. Take it appart and clean out the orifice (sp) that the float needle sits in. Use a can of computer air blow. this always get stuff moving.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
redzoomer said:
Sound like you are getting little pieces of trash in there or you have on piece and it is just moving when you clean it. Take it appart and clean out the orifice (sp) that the float needle sits in. Use a can of computer air blow. this always get stuff moving.

+1 - same thing happened to me recently. Float was sticking because of some dirt in there.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I did notice that there was a little debrit at the bottom of the carb bowl and cleaned it out, so perhaps I need to do a more complete cleaning?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
As already said, your inlet needle isn't sealing. Take it out, clean off the needle and seat, reassemble, and your problems should be solved, unless you are getting debris into the fuel system from your tank, in which case it will occur again until the debris is removed from the system.

Top Bottom