DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I've read about the removal of the airbox lid and also drilling of holes in it. The lid on mine holds the CDI(if I'm not mistaken) so do we sorta cut around it?, and just how many holes is holy enough? I'll take any free power I can get. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done and what I can expect. I have a '95 PC pipe and new silencer. Othe than that it's stock. Thanx, DVO

MisShift

May 11, 2001
2 ways to go about it. Toss airlid completely and remount unit to nearby location. Or drill thumb sized holes all over the top of box. And no, water wont get into the box with regular riding. If you do manage to get water in the box you musta mistaken the bike for a submarine. :D

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
That unit is mounted on mine as well. I just cut the airbox lid right after it, so that only the front quarter of the lid remained.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I cut the entire upper level off...

starting by removing the snorkel and then drilling holes on each of the corners and then saw-zalled to each corner. I smoothed it out with an air grinder. So I still have a lid over the box but it has about 50% removed for air flow. I wish I took a picture of it last night when I had the seat off, but had the seat on when I got the camera out.:mad:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
BRUSH,

Thanks for the tip, I have the plastic lid for my 94 in a box & would do anything to make it quiter. I'm assuming that drilling vs. no lid does not affect jetting??

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
BRush;

Does that drilling configuration you show give the same power increase as removing the lid all together? I have removed mine and have to agree with you the low bog off idle is anoying..
Lew

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Lew

if your bike bogs just off idle then I suggest you try the next larger pilot jet. If it honks just off idle then I suggest adding the lid back on. I took that entire upper level and cut it out. If you look at the picture I put 2 more holes in the other corners and then cut a line to each of them. Like this:

Attachments

• airbox lid.jpg
    airbox lid.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 314

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
BRUSH,

Thanks for the tip, I have the plastic lid for my 94 in a box & would do anything to make it quiter. I'm assuming that drilling vs. no lid does not affect jetting??

In terms of power, I did not notice a lot of difference between drilling and taking the lid off completely. The important thing is to open up the restrictive stock intake. No matter which course you take, you'll have to check your jetting. Whether there's a jetting difference between no-lid and drilled-lid I can't say because I did not spend a lot of time on the no-lid option once I heard the intake honk.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Wow, seems a lot of people have an interest in this one. Thanks for all the replies. Very valuable site indeed. DVO

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom