Case is split, what bearings / seals should I replace?

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
I have the case split and the crank and gears are out. I have a Hot Rod crank and main bearing kit on the way. I'm wondering, what other bearings in the case should be on the mandatory replacement list and what ones are on the "they don't go bad" list. Thanks.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
As a minimum I would replace all of the seals and bearings. It's a pain to split the cases so replace everything when you have the chance. Will you be replacing good parts? Probably but I say better safe than sorry, especially on a 7 year old bike.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
If you are on a tight budget then replace all the seals and leave the bearings. I would do as RM_guy says and replace them all.
Many of the bearings (and maybe the seals) will be available at a bearing supply house for much less then Suzuki OEM items.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
While you are in there, replace them all. Service Honda has very reasonable prices on the bearings. If I remember correctly, they are all common bearings and aren't very expensive wherever you get them. At the very least, change the seals.

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
thanks. I ordered a athena complete gasket kit with my crank and main bearings so I assume all the seals will be in with that. I think I will just replace all the bearings and know they are new along with everything else. I'm not really on a budget but I will say I have more into this engine than I originally planned due to screwed up cylinder plating. Funny what a 400 dollar bike turns into, no sense cutting corners now :) Thanks.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
No, the seals don not normally come with the gasket kits. You have to order them separately.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I got a complete engine seal kit from Moose for less then $20.

Crazy

Top Bottom