case problem, shifter problem?

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
Help......I took the case off to replace the water pump seals and bearings and the case doesn't want to go back on right. The shifter is sticking out to far for the case to seat. I can't find my manual, and I don't want to damage anything. What's my next move? :bang: :bang:

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Sounds like you might of bumped the shift shaft. It has a centering spring that can pop off the post it’s an easy fix it’s hard to explain.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Most likely the problem is the gears for the pump or the powervalve are not meshing properly with the crank gear.if you have the waterpump cover off still put the side cover back on and slowly rotate the water pump impeller while putting slight pressure on the cover,you should be able to feel when they mesh up properly.Or you can put the motor in gear and slowly rock the countershaft sprocket back and forth this will slowly move the clutch and crank to mesh the gears.Make sure the powervalve shaft is also engaged in the govenor assembly properly and the assembly stays mounted in the case,it sometimes likes to drop out.
Is the Shifter sitting on top of the shift drum correctly,the tips of the shift shaft should sit almost against the shift star.

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
You guys called it........it turned out to be the shifter shaft sticking out too far because the lower shift lever wasn't down far enough on the shaft collar. Thanks for the replies. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Top Bottom