500guy

Aug 4, 2004
I have an '03 RM250 and just had the stator go completely out. The prior owner had an aftermarket stator that would support a light. I suspect when he took to light off, he just left the hot wire unprotected under the tank.

While riding the bike went from running fine to totally dead. No spark what so ever. When I took off the tank the hot wire was just hanging there and looked like it wsa freshly cut. After troubleshooting per the maunual, I traced it to the stator and replace it along with the coil and plug cap for good measure. In the process I tried to test the CDI box using the process in the manual.

On some of the wires I get the speced values. On several others, I got no reading at all (when there should have been one). When I started testing (it was very late) I mistakenly tried to take the first few reading with the meter set to DC volts (and not diode). :bang:

After searching here, I came up with a lot of "you just can't really test them.." When I went to the dealer to pick up the parts I brought the CDI and asked if theye had anyway to test. I was told "Nope, they pretty much work or they don't."

After replacing the stator and coil, I got a spark and the bike started right up. While running a mud race from hell this weekend (1 hour hangover marathon) the bike ran like crap on top and was VERY difficult to start hot.

Is there any way to test the CDI? Are my readings, consistent with one that is going bad? Could the stator shorting out, or my initial improper testing have damaged it? Any thoughts? I will be inspecting the reed valves tonight...

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
Bonus question. Will a '00 RM 250 CDI work. I thought that would be a dumb question, but on one of the thread I found here, someone quoted Eric Gorr as stating that many of the Jap bike CDIs were interchangeable. I can get a deal on a '00, but have an '03

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
Just answered my own question. The part number for the '03 is the same back until at least '97. Based on that I bought a new FMF unit on that famous site that shall remain nameless for $99. Even if it's still good, I'll take it as a spare for that price :yeehaw:

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
Crap, I was looking at the part numbers incorrectly, they are NOT the same part number. Again, in too big of a hurry.

Top Bottom