CDI Ohms test, manual mistakes

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
This is a chart correcting the manual for 95 and up. I thought my 96 CDI was shorted due to the incorrect infinity 00 where there should of been 0 full continuity. The chart is for a 92 fully working kdx CDI and my 96 CDI which is now hooked back to my bike and working fine.

Test is done at Resistance times ten or RX10 as stated on the Micronta multi-meter that I used and purchased from Radio shack. The manual says test at 1k resistance but I found that to be not correct either.

Use this as a ground-truth when testing your CDI's and remember to test your meter at full continuity before starting ensuring that when the test probes are together the needle goes to zero and not past it giving a false reading later.

The 92 and 96 CDI have different wiring colors and connectors so the table shows the 92 first and then the 96 color. The 92 has a black Oring tab for grounding through a bolt and also a black pin connector, where the 96 only has one fully black wire which is paired with the black pin from 92.

oo is my sign for infinity otherwise meaning that no connection is present. 0 is the indicator that a full connection is present.

Attachments

• 92 96 cdi test.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
There is a blank entry for the blkpin/blk cross referenced to the blkyell/blue box. What does that indicate? And just to clairify, the 00 references an open circuit, and 0 references a short, correct?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
The table is fixed and yes you are correct when thinking 00 is an open circuit, but not all 0 (zero) indications mean a short. It is a short if you are suppose to have infinity or another number and you get zero. On magnetos if the reading is below your specified resistance say 150 instead of 250-370 you have a short in the magneto. So shorts are relative to your test. CDI's are being tested for the zener diodes and I don't know how they quite work but I suppose if your test falls way out from my numbers you could have a problem with the CDI.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom