Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Finally got the chance to bring my bike in to the shop after it started leaking oil from between the lower cases. They called today to say it would be about $800 to fix!! I almost choked. I know I have heard stories from others on this board that had KTM take care of it because it was a defect from the factory. My bike is about a year old, so it's well out of the standard warranty. I am convinced the problem was due to poor assembly at the factory. The local dealer called KTM and they said they had no record of a problem with center case gaskets and that they wouldn't cover any of the repair. If you have had this problem corrected by KTM, please let me know. Also, if anyone has a contact at KTM that I could call to discuss my problem I would appreciate it if you could pass that info on to me.

Larry

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
read about lots of the rfs doing this-KTM should cover it as it was faulty installation-hard to blame a piece of paper as it tends to go where its put.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Man, I'm still not over the shock of this. I've read many posts about leaking center gaskets, and they all said KTM did the right thing and took care of it. Why not on mine? I really can't afford to pay for the repair, and really don't think I should have to since it's a manufacturing defect. I sure hope someone that reads this can help me out.

Larry

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its down to the dealer-they are a conduit or a brick wall-yours sounds like he wants the money from you-easier than claiming from KTM.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Its down to the dealer-they are a conduit or a brick wall-yours sounds like he wants the money from you-easier than claiming from KTM.

I would have to agree with marcusgunby on this. Where is the $800 coming from. It's just gaskets and labor. Whats the price of a whole gasket kit? $150 at the most? You only need the top end gaskets, the stator cover and the center case gasket. The right side of the motor does not even need to be touched to replace the centercase gasket. I would find another dealer.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
After reading this I checked my bro's 02520exc.
Sure enough, it is all wet and drooling from the center case gasket.
Yikes, good thing he has a broken foot.
It came stock with nice handlebars though... ;)

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
And KTM tried to say they were'nt aware of any problem. They should get their head out of the sand and look around...

Top Bottom