Defective RFS Center Case Gasket

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
As background, I have a 2001 520 EXC that has an obviously defective center case gasket that lets the oil pour out. The motor has 6 hours on it. Gaskets don't wear out - the cases were put together at the factory with a bad gasket.

After going back and forth with the dealer where I bought the bike and KTM customer service (Ha! That's misusing the term...) I am left with a bike that won't hold oil and an estimate for about $800 to fix it. KTM said that since the bike is a year old (even though it's in showroom condition with only 6 hours on it), and the fact that they 'have no indication that there is a problem with the gaskets' they would not cover even a part of the repair.

This is a pretty crappy response to such an obvious manufacturing defect. I've done nothing but talk highly of this bike and KTM. I've recommended this bike to many people, and one friend bought one based on my recommendation. I am now feeling very let down, and have a much lower opinion of KTM and their representatives in Ohio. I now have a bike that costs close to $8,000 that is unusable unless I spend another $800 to fix a problem caused by the factory.

I would have been happy if they would have admitted that it was their fault and covered even a portion of the repair costs, but they chose to deny any responsibility. I think that says a lot about their company and how they do business.

I can't help thinking that I'm gonna shell out big bucks to fix this problem just to have the cam bearings grenade on me, or the water pump seal fail and start spewing coolant.

It's a sad sad day - the KTM ball cap that I have worn every day for the last few months has now been stuck in the back of the closet, possibly never to be worn again.

Larry

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Most companies have a habit of not admitting to problems.Is it possible to loosen all the engine bolts and realign the gasket?

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I think by the way it spewed the oil out the bottom of the motor that the gasket is torn. I'm half tempted to just loosen the engine bolts like you said and force some RTV in there.

Larry

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Larry,
I'm interested to know who exactly told you that there was no issue with that center case gasket. It's actually a fairly well known problem on some KTM boards and has been fixed by KTM USA in the past. Did YOU actually talk to KTM service or is your dealer telling you this? I'm not slamming your dealer, per se, but there have been incidents where the dealer said they'd contacted KTM and it turns out they never did. Generally, if your dealer goes to bat for you, KTM will get in the game.

Being the bike is two models year old may be a problem but I know there are cases of KTM standing behind bikes even older.

I'd sure put some fresh SKF bearings on the cam and a new WP seal assembly while the engine is apart, BTW. Cheap insurance.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
an '01 with only 6hrs on it! When did you buy it? When did it start to leak? If the leak was/is as bad as you stated, it should have been taken back the dealer within the warrenty period for repair after you first discovered it.

agree with Jeb. a lot of dealers don't follow up KTM, but say they do. i'm also not surprised that your dealer hasn't tried or offered to simply replace the gasket for you.

Katoum

Dec 24, 2000
Just incase you have not checked this, its possible to pinch the o ring for the oil filter with out being visable and if the bike and oil are clean its even hard to tell where it's coming from. I know, because this happened to me, and I could swear it was the cases leaking, untill further close examinination. If you have already done this, please ignore my suggestion.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I called KTM myself, and their reply was that this was not a known problem with the RFS and that I must have caused it myself somehow. What a load of crap. When the problem first appeared, I figured I just hadn't gotten the drain bolt in tight enough. Then I thought it was the counter shaft seal. Then I thought it was the oil filter cover. All of this took several months, as I had not been riding it much. The last time I rode it I was pushing it a bit, doing some high speed desert riding. When I got home the skid plate was full of oil. I totally cleaned the engine and spent a lot of time making sure of where the oil was coming from. It was definitely leaking between the cases. I'm still going to call KTM again. I don't feel they should have left me hanging like they did. Even though the bike was purchases just over a year ago, it only has six hours on the engine. Gaskets don't wear out - it was put together wrong.

Larry

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
? DID YOU PRESSURE WAS YOUR BIKE ?
ALL IT TAKES IS ONE WASHING HOLDING
THE NOZZEL TO CLOSE

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
No, it's never been pressure washed - only have used a garden hose. Even then the skid plate was on which would have kept the water from directly hitting the gasket area.

Larry

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom