gren385

Feb 24, 2008
in my quest to build a awsome 06 yz 125,i was wondering if swaping all the bearings to ceramic in the motor is worth the cash and trouble,i can get a good deal on the kit for motor.i allready did the 144 cylinder,delta reed valve and fmf pipe.any thoughts on what to do next?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ceramic bearings and dirt are a BAD combo. Using them in an MX application is a bad idea.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tiny bits of dirt can shatter the ceramic. Good ceramic bearings are very expensive and tough to match to an application to gain an advantage. The "discount" ceramic bearing kits tend to be just gimmicky junk.

It's your money, spend it whatever way makes you happy. ;)

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I know that on the newer Suzuki GSXR's the headstock bearings are ceramic, and with alot of wheelies and such they will occasionally break....they are junk...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High quality high speed ceramic bearings that are speced correctly for the application and kept totally free of dirt can provide some useful performance advantages. The superkart guys have proven that to be true. Cheap ceramic bearings speced by someone without the appropriate background in the technology,and used in the wrong application is just another case of scumbags in the motorcycle business ripping off a trusting public.

Here's a link to a discussion we had a while back on ceramic bearings.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=71798

Pay particular attention to the posts by Sean Hilbert. Sean is a well respected engineer and has more experience with ceramic bearings in two-strokes than anyone I know.

Top Bottom