Moto Man26

Aug 6, 2006
Hey guys,
I have been having problems with my chain on my bike(yz125). Every time I go riding, it gets really loose and is about to come off the rear sprocket. I tried adjusting the adjustments at the end of the swing arm, and tightening my axle bolt, but after every ride the chain adjustments at the end of the swing arm become all loose and the chain is really loose.

Can anyone please tell me what to do! :bang:
Thanks a lot for your help!! :nod: ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Give us your step by step directions to tightening the chain so we can see where you are going wrong.

Also I deleted your other post, please do not cross post the same thread in multiple forums.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do what Chili says so you can get better answers, but make sure that axle block is tight against the adjuster if that is your design (not sure about YZ's but you need the wheel to be pushed as far forward as it will go). Some people will jam a wrench (10mm works) between the chain and rear sprocket to force the wheel forward before tightening the axle. Also torque the axle nut to 78 ft-lbs (I just learned that number last week when a friend noticed that my axle wasn't tight enough).

Moto Man26

Aug 6, 2006
Ok, to answer Chili's question:

*I loosen up the axle nut so it can move forwards and backwards freely.
*I loosen up the bolts at the end of the swing arm, to adjust the chain tension.
* I move the rear wheel, by tightening/or loosening the bolts at the end of the swing arm.
* When I find the chain tension is alright, I make sure that each of the adjusters on the ends of the swing arm are the same.
* Then I put the nut back on the axle and tighten it.
* Now it's time to go riding, but after a few minutes my chain gets really loose again.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Moto Man26 said:
Ok, to answer Chili's question:

* I move the rear wheel, by tightening/or loosening the bolts at the end of the swing arm.
* When I find the chain tension is alright, I make sure that each of the adjusters on the ends of the swing arm are the same.

You don't mention loosening and retightening the lock nuts on the chain adjuster bolts, is this just oversight? If not there is your problem.

psalm3124

Apr 21, 2005
Perhaps the axle blocks are not snugged up against the adjustment bolts when you tighten it down the axle. To do this rotate a rag between the sprocket and chain prior to tightening the axle.

Top Bottom