Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Has anyone run a 13/49 tooth combo? If so, did a 110 link chain work? I just changed sprockets to this combination and although a 110 link chain should be right, it seems too long because to get the proper slack, the adjusters must be set at the number 7 setting. With the adusters down as far as they go (around two clicks below the # 1 setting) I pulled the chain together to simulate eliminating a link but that seemed like it would be much too tight. Stock gearing is 13/47 teeth with a 108 link chain so I thought a 110 would be fine. I'd prefer running the axle up as forward as possible, but it seems that I am stuck with running it back at the # 7 setting with this combo. Maybe I'll just have to wait for the chain to settle in and loosen up a few rides and then I'll be able to shorten it up so I can get the axle up to the front of the slot.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I have never done this combo, but a 108 is stock length along with 13/47 sprockets. I have never tried your combo but here is some info that could be helpful... With a new 108 and stock sprockets, the chain adjuster I believe is on #4 or 4.5 with proper slack. I run a 14/47 combo, and a 108 link chain with the correct clack, I believe is on #2 or 3.

so in theory, my opinion is, you should be able to go with a 108... Especially if you say your on # 7 from the beginning/// which doesnt make sense??? :think:

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I'm using 13/49 and I thought I had 116 links. Let me go check my log... <Final Jeopardy music playing> Well, I at least started with a 116 but the notes don't say how many links I removed.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
KAY DEE EXER said:
I've gone with 109. I started at 110 but like you said its at the limit of adjustability.
Better check that one out, KD. Hard to run an odd number of chain reels.
Wait...the KDX is a bit odd anywho. (j/k) :nener:

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
My bike came with a 13x49 and a 110-link chain. Yes, it was back a ways in the adjusters. I tried a new 108-link chain and it was too short...

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Actually, you may find that the longer wheelbase helps to keep the front end planted. Mine tends to ride up pretty easy if I get stuck on a steep hill (which happens fairly often) with stock gearing, and the local bike folks recommended going with a longer chain to increase wheelbase. Of course, then those wheelies don't come so easy!

layoutd

May 17, 2004
aren't you only talking half an inch longer wheel base? i think your local bike folks are messing with you. I don't think a half an inch would make much difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
You'd be surprised what a half in ch can do to change the geometry of a bike. Not saying it would be worth fooling with, but it might make a difference.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
I have a 13/50gear combo and use a 114 chain with a few links cut off (don't remember how many). I run my snails on 8 for the desert . Then I cut a link for the summer and run at 3 to 3.5 for the woods. Yes it makes a difference.

Top Bottom