piperpilot12

Dec 20, 2002
I have a CR 250 mainly used for trail riding and occasional motoX track. While looking through here I've learned that I haven't been taking care of the chain as well as I should. Still need a few answers.

1) Should I clean the chain after I go riding every time?

2) If I lube the chain before I go riding, does the chain need to be lubed again thoughout the day, or am I just pushing dirt into the wear areas?

3) When I lube the chain should I be spraying all parts of the chain(rollers and side plates inside/outside)?

4) When I clean the chain I take the chain off the bike by removing the master link and soaking the chain in kerosine. Is it ok to keep using the master link after remove/replace many times over. I'm wondering if the clip will lose some of its stregnth.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The link Papakeith geve should cover most of your questions, but I will touch briefly on your questions. (thanks, Keith)

Originally posted by piperpilot12
I have a CR 250 mainly used for trail riding and occasional motoX track. While looking through here I've learned that I haven't been taking care of the chain as well as I should. Still need a few answers.

1) Should I clean the chain after I go riding every time?
If you rode your bike through any water or mud, then it is wise to clean and lube your chain after your ride. Using a penetrating dry-film lube will clean dirt from the friction areas and drive any remaining moisture out. You don't want your chain rusting before the next ride.

2) If I lube the chain before I go riding, does the chain need to be lubed again thoughout the day, or am I just pushing dirt into the wear areas?

If you use a thick, tacky type of lubricant, it is possible that you could be keeping dirt and grit in place if you lube without a proper cleaning. However, if you use a penetrating dry-fim type lube, the solvent carrier will help to keep the chain friction areas clean. Rule of thumb is to lube your chain when you re-fuel or after each moto.

3) When I lube the chain should I be spraying all parts of the chain(rollers and side plates inside/outside)?
It is not neccessary to lube the side plates. On carbon steel chains that have no protecting coatings you can add lube to the plates to keep the chain plates from rusting, but there is no lubricating benifits by lubing the side plates.
Many lubes will recommend to place the lube on the inside of the chain at the rollers....this is a bad practice if you have solid bushings, as the lubricant has a very hard time getting to the pin/bushing area, where most wear takes place. 
The best place to lube all chains is between the inner and outer plates. This will allow the lube a clear avenue to the pin/bushing area. Excess lube will usually be present on the rollers and will transfer to the sprocket teeth during application. Spin the rear wheel vigourously for several revolutions after applying lube to make sure it gets distributed. 

4) When I clean the chain I take the chain off the bike by removing the master link and soaking the chain in kerosine. Is it ok to keep using the master link after remove/replace many times over. I'm wondering if the clip will lose some of its stregnth.
If you remove the master link clip with care, it should last. However, they are made of spring steel and are very easily deformed if taken off/replaced improperly.
If you use the proper lubricant, the need for taking the chain off and soaking in a solvent goes away. Dry-film type lubes will not attract dirt and will not create a messy build-up that needs cleaned with solvent.

piperpilot12

Dec 20, 2002
Thanks so much for the info!

Regarding how often to clean the chain. I ride in Southern California and rarely ride through mud or water and just started using HP Chain Lube and might try MX 1000 in the future. So if I understand by using either of these lubes in the conditions I ride, cleaning the chain is not required very often.
Would you agree with this?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You should clean your chain every time you wash your bike.
I recommend cleaning your chain after you finish riding. Just a brief clean with a hose or a power washer can get any trapped dirt out.
However, using a penetrating fluid with a solvent carrier does allow you to go longer between washings, as long as you are liberally applying the lube.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom