James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
Does anyone know if a stock xr650 has a clip of some sort on the chain to make it easier to get off? I've looked really hard, and can't find one. Next, my chain has a slight amount of rust on it from some mud I rode through the other day. Does anoyone know a way to get rid of it?

I was reading about uncorking the xr650 to get more power out of it. Everything looked really easy until I got to the part about jetting. I know nothing about jetting, and wondered if anyone had done this before, and if they had any tips. Where I have read about it, it says to go from a 125 jet, to around a 172 jet depending on altitude. The local shop said that was a really big jump in size, and that kinda worried me. If someone could kinda explain the uncorking process, It would really help me out.
I know its complicated, so don't feel obligated to help.

Thank you!
James

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
The stock XR650R chain has no master-link.
It is a "staked link" or endless chain.
Honda advises this type of chain do to the high tourqe output.
Minor surface rust should be no problem, usually a bit of gear oil on a rag will eliminate it.
Or simply lube it with a commercial chain lube deemed safe for "o-ring" type chains.

Your friendly neighborhood Honda dealer should be familiar with the "uncorcking" process on the 650R.
And no, it's not really very complcated.
Basically you:
1- remove 2 plastic resrictors from the airbox.
2- replace the stock rubber intake manifold with the optional "power-up" Honda part.
3- replace the stock muffler insert -w- the "power-up" unit.
4- rejet the carb. 68s pilot jet, needle -w- clip in 3rd position, and anywhere from a 170 to a 180 main jet depending on your altitude.
(im running a 170 in mine. NewMexico "high desert")

For more info check this out.
http://xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/

Uncork that lil bugger and enjoy! :yeehaw:
Have fun and ride safe! :thumb:

Top Bottom