Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
I bought a sprocket kit for my YZ 125 (13/52) and I had to take a few links out of the chain because it was way too long. Right now, I have the chain adjustment set as far back as it can go. At this setting, the chain slack is perfect. I am just worried that having the adjustment set all of the way back may cause other problems? Should I remove another link or 2 and pull the wheel forward some more so I am not all of the way back, or does it not matter?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'd shorten the chain, but first I'd go ahead and ride it until it needs to be adjusted. You won't cause any problems running it full out and in fact, running it too close can cause problems with mud jamming between the tire and swingarm. I took links out of my YZ450F's to scoot it up and turning improved a little, traction seemed to improve, and mud got jammed. Good trade-off in normal conditions, IMHO, but not for mud. Anyway, let the chain stretch, then take some links out.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If the chain is new, I'd do it now... All chains will stretch.. It'd suck to have it stretch and not be able to adjust it, and still have time that day to ride.

May 29, 2007
I was looking at my bike when I got it and the chain was out of adjustment. There was so much slack in the chain, it was badly wearing on the frame. I can't believe the previous owner didn't shorten the chain, I did ASAP.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
monster malibu said:
I was looking at my bike when I got it and the chain was out of adjustment. There was so much slack in the chain, it was badly wearing on the frame. I can't believe the previous owner didn't shorten the chain, I did ASAP.

Not uncommon on a used bike. You just hope it doesn't reflect the care he gave the oil, filter and other parts requiring periodic maintenance.

Top Bottom