ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Hi all,

I've tried finding this info on the web but had no luck. I'm hoping some of the great minds that visit this site can help.

Will a 108 link o-ring chain fit on a 13/49 sprocket set up?

Also, is it recommended to soak the new o-ring chain in motor oil before I put it on? I've read in some other posts that a lot of people do this.

One last question, the chain that is presently on my bike seems to be a rivet on master link type. How would you guys suggest getting that chain off?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chuck

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
108 sould be ok, but just get a 110 and cut it to size. Don't soak it, the o-rings are sealed so soaking it will just make it wet!

You can use a die-grinder to get the old one off.

Gary

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
108 is the size for the stock sprokets (13/47). I think you'd be better off with a 110 link chain, That's what a 13/50 requires and I've been running at about the 5.5 adjuster position. You can always shorten it if you think it's too long.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You do want to keep the rings supple by applying lubricant. If they are not lubed they will crack and can let in crap. They will also tend to suck oil from the lubricated side of them, which will rob what little is there to begin with.

There are also places that are not lubricated/protected on a ring chain that need lube just as often as a non-ring chain. In fact, a ring chain should be lubed as often as you would a standard chain.

Soaking a chain in oil is an old method that makes more of a mess than it's worth. Use a good penetrating lubricant that is safe for o-rings and it won't take but about three drops per reel. (one between each side plate and one for the roller)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Besides the grinder to get the heads off the pins, a chain break tool is handy for pressing the pins out after you're done grinding them down.

A 108link chain has been noted before (by users of such) to be ok for a 13/49 combo. Agreed, a 110 (no, there ain't no 109!) will probably fit better.

'Better' in this case meaning the rear axle won't be snugged up close cuz the 108 will be almost too short. A longer wheel base is usually a good thing.

By all means, soak the thing in the heaviest oil/grease you can find!!!

Why? Mostly cuz jaybird says not to. ;)

Nah. Not really. That's not done no moh. Well, let's say it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
RV6, BR, Jaybird, and CC,....thanks for chiming in.

My friend is getting out of the sport and he has a brand new 108 link gold o-ring chain that I can have for a song. I'd really like to get by with using that chain if at all possible.

CC, I never even thought about the wheelbase issue. Good point.

Approximately how much would the wheelbase be increased by going from a 108 to a 110? 'Bout three quarters of an inch or so? If so, that's pretty significant and I ought to consider not using the 108. But like I said, I'm getting the 108 for such a great price ('bout 75% off of mail order prices!) I'd hate to pass it up.

Is it agreed that the only down side of using a 108 with a 13/49 combination would be a shortened wheelbase?

Everyone, again, thanks for the help,
Chuck

PS. I plan on putting on new sprockets with the new chain regardless if it's the 108 or a 110.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Each reel is 5/8" long. So....two reels equals 1-1/4" in distance.
Bein's we are taking about a 180deg. turn...your wheelbase length increase will be half of the total chain distance, which would end up bein' 5/8".

I hate math, don't you? :)

And btw...CC only wants you to soak your chain in 90wt. so he won't be alone.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah. I may use 90W, but at least it's got posi additive in it. That's what makes it such a hot set-up!

GL-5 ain't what it used to be!!

Valvoline of course!

How about this?

Buy yourself a 112, take off a couple of links to have: Two to add to your 'for a song', and 110 left over for next time!

You'd have to be pretty worried about the whole thing to do that. Stick with a good deal on the 108L, buy 110L next time.

How about that?

Dave O

Apr 11, 2003
Fredette's set-up video recommends using a 110 both for the longer wheelbase advantage and it gets the adjusters into a position where they are less likely to be smacked by debris on the trail.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
90W...hot set-up...good enough for CC...good enough for me! JK!

Actually, I've read enough posts to know that when it comes to chain design, engineering, mechanics, and maintenance, Jaybird's word is gospel. If he sez don't soak it in oil...I won't!

Since a 108 will work, albeit with a 5/8 in. shorter wheelbase (thanks JayB), I'll stick with that.

However, the idea of buying a 112 and taking off a couple of links then adding them to the 108 to make two 110's is absolutely ingenious. Why didn't I think of that?

Thank y'all again,
Chuck

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by ChuckyBoy
However, the idea of buying a 112 and taking off a couple of links then adding them to the 108 to make two 110's is absolutely ingenious. Why didn't I think of that? 

Very bad idea :| I hope you are all just kidding.

This would require two master links; i.e two FAILURE points. This is against common practice.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hmmm...well....
I agree that by adding two master links you have increased the opportunity for the chain to come apart. BUT...if a master link is installed correctly, there isn't a great risk of that happening to begin with.
Yes, if you ride woods I do realise that you can encounter things such as downed trees and such that can help the clip to become unfastened. But it just won't happen very often. And if it does, do you not carry a spare master to begin with? If you are worried about a chain comming apart in the first place, perhaps you should be looking at a rivet type master anyway.

I honestly can't see worrying too much about having two masters in your chain, especially if you aren't doing any high speed racing. If you have two rivet masters in the chain, you'd be hard-pressed (no pun intended) to find them after assembly anyway.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Amen, brother!

And...no, I wasn't kidding at all. Well, not much anyway.

re: 'absolutely ungenious' (or something like that)

Amen brother! That's why I get paid the big bucks!!

One good reason to do anything would be its being 'against common practice'. ;)

KdxEasyRider

Jul 21, 2003
I use a 12/49 configuration with a 109 link 0-ring chain(1 master link)and it works just fine. I originally had the the 13. So the chain can deff. fit a 12/49.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Two masters...I don't know...just gives we the willies...better on your bike than mine...

Yes, I do carry a master on the trail. The real issue is a chain coming off and hitting the case, or worse, wrapping around my ankle. Two masters...I don't know...

Must be all of the junk bikes I had as a kid. They all gave me a very bad (or good I guess) experience.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
When i bought my bike the previous owner had two master links on the chain.  I did not particularly like it but it never did cause me any trouble.  Ran the bike like that for one season then replaced the chain.

I would not want to start out with the two master link situation but do agree that it is acceptable.  I kninda agree with RV6 - "better on your bike than mine".

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you trust one clip type master, why would you not trust two?

I never run two master links, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if my pocket book said I should. It's just not that big of deal, albeit not the best possible odds you could have. Running a single clip type master increases your odds of failure compared to a rivet type. Are you gonna spring for the loot to buy a pin staker and run a rivet master? (Hmmmmm.....)

Kdx EasyRider mentioned a 109 link chain (probably mistakenly). I won't even go into the half link issue with y'all, however they can be had on some chains. :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Besides the grinder to get the heads off the pins, a chain break tool is handy for pressing the pins out after you're done grinding them down.

If you have a chain breaker why bother with the grinder? :think:

I've never had to use a grinder on mine...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've never liked using a grinder on a chain. Too many particles that can ruin a good chain. Orings hate molten hot slags of metal.

You don't need a grinder if you have a good chain breaker. That is the whole purpose of them.

Top Bottom