May 29, 2007
I've got a 87 KX500 and don't know how tight the chain should be. Is there a certain place I should measure from the swingarm? The previous owner had the chain so loose, it was wearing into the frame. I took a link out of the chain for now, and a new chain /sprockets will be on the way soon.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Push down or have somebody push down on the back of the bike until it bottoms out. You will notice the chain will get tighter and then looser as the rear suspension goes through the stroke. When the chain is at it's tightest point, adjust it so there is about 3/4's of an inch of free play.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Ol'89r said:
Push down or have somebody push down on the back of the bike until it bottoms out. You will notice the chain will get tighter and then looser as the rear suspension goes through the stroke. When the chain is at it's tightest point, adjust it so there is about 3/4's of an inch of free play.
Thats the best way.

May 29, 2007
Thanks for the info guys, when I got the bike I sat on it and checked the tension. I then adjusted it and now know it's still to loose, but close.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The chain will be at it's tightest point when the countershaft, the swingarm pivot, and the rear axle are all in a line. At that point the chain should have just a small amount of free play. After adjusting it in this manner, put the bike on a stand and measure the amount of free play again. Adjust for this amount in the future and you're good to go.

Top Bottom