JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
A while back there was a post about Shady Grove - the changes, love it, hate it, etc. Well, get this: Shady is going to host it's first race August 9th. For real. They are talking about working over the track and the term "water truck" was used!! They are even rebuilding some of the jumps.

Personally, I like Shady Grove, but I can't help but be a bit apprenhensive that the track will EVER be in race ready condition, much less by Aug 9. I guess we will see. Maybe that $10 actually is justified? Who knows.

Just wanted to give a heads up.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Now if they would only haul off some of that junk.....oh wait....I wonder how many bodies they would find if they did that :scream:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
JayPak,

Where did you hear this mysterious news?  Inquiring mind gotta know!!! :)

JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by TwinSpar
JayPak,

Where did you hear this mysterious news?  Inquiring mind gotta know!!! :)

Well, first off, I read it on the website about a month ago - and thought it was marketing hype or whatever (read "BS"). But I went out there to ride Tuesday - and as I signed in Charlie handed me a flyer - for a RACE! I was like "Um, a what? Here? No way!"

But then I talk to Charles and he said they were really going to host one. He has brought in a bunch of dirt near the finish line jump to elevate it and extend it a few feet. They have also redone the jump right before the finish line jump. So, I guess I heard it straight from the owners mouth - and I guess they are really serious. I still can't ever imagine a groomed and watered Shady Grove, but we'll see if it really happens!

Laters!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Hey JayPak, I was out there punishing myself in the heat on Tuesday as well. I was in a white Ranger with two Yamahas. Were you leaving as we arrived?

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by JayPak

They have also redone the jump right before the finish line jump.

Unless something changed drastically since Sunday.... "completely F'ed up the jump before the finish line" would be a better description.  Where the hell does Chuck think he's going to put a starting line?!?  The parking lot?

Shady is fine for a practice track (unless you're scared of a ragged out track) but I just don't see it doing well as a location for promoting races.  It needs a ton of work.  I hope he gives the track some attention.

JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by evenslower
Hey JayPak, I was out there punishing myself in the heat on Tuesday as well. I was in a white Ranger with two Yamahas. Were you leaving as we arrived?

I think I was actually there when you were? I was over by the finish line jump - black F150, trailer- CR125 and was riding with a chick on a TTR125?? We got there about 5 and stayed until dark.

JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
"completely F'ed up the jump before the finish line" would be a better description.

Hehe, yeah I was kinda thinking that. It was crappy before, but now it's more like a big hunk of dirt in the track. There were also several jump faces that needed work. I mean, you fix the jumps, smooth out the bumps, widden the track in a few places, fix the berms, redo the whoops, groom the track, get some water on it, cut the weeds, put in a starting line and it would be race ready, lol. Wait, that would be a whole new track! Oh yeah, don't forget to get the extrerminator out there. At least twice I have almost hit a big ass rat crossing the track! Wouldn't take suck? "So, how'd you break your collerbone?" "Um, I hit a rat on the track?"

I dunno man, ya got me, but there is a buttload of work that needs to be done in order to get that track ready for races. I dunno where the hell the start is going to take place, but Charles did say they were going to use a flag for starts. Maybe they will start behind the freestyle jump - so in order to start the race, you have to hit the freestyle jump. It would be kinda like the XFL - ever watch that? Instead of a coin toss, the guys would have to tackle each other for the ball or something? Maybe Shady is on to something new - XMX! In order to start the race, you have to hit the big freestyle jump and pull of a nac nac or better before you can start doing laps around the track....

or, maybe not...

Anyway, we'll see what happens out there...

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I think we must have left before you got there. Unfortunately the only free time I had was the hottest part of the day. Gotta love all that shade out there...........

You guys are right. Good location, questionable condition, not even close to race worthy.

That being said, Nocona has kwodd races this weekend so we'll prolly be out at sheaty on Sun morning.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
evenslower,

You might have you dates for Nocona mixed up.  The sofa races are on Aug 10.  70Goat called Nocona and the answering machine says they are open for practice this weekend.  Goat's gonna head out there Saturday morning!

70Goat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2002
I will be there on a YZ426 and I will have my friend and his CR250 with me. We should be there in a Red Ford Supercrew. We will be there early.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom