Changing fork & rear springs for Dummies?

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Is there a guide anywhere on the 'net that would help someone who needs to change the fork and rear springs, but never has done it? I have a '99 KDX 200, if that helps.

Thanks!
---
Brandon

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It's not very hard. Your bikes manual should do a good job. If you don't have one it might be a good time to get one.

If not.

Shock: With the shock on the bike remove the frame subsection to access the shock. Loosen the "ring" nuts (I don't know the correct term) until the spring is loose. Unbolt the top and bottom shock mount bolts to remove the shock. Remove the ring nuts and slide the spring off. Reverse the procedure to install the new one. Reset your sag when you are done.

Forks. Remove your handlebars and loosen the top tripleclamp pinch bolts. Then loosen the fork cap all the way. You then have to pull the spring down to expose the nut on top of the cartridge shaft (not sure of the correct terminology here, correct as necessary) and remove the fork cap. Now the spring should slide off. Reverse the process to install the new springs.

Hope this helps

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Ensign, if you havn't done this yet, I'm right in the middle of it. I'm taking some photos along the way. I'll plan on putting up a how-to or perhaps a how-not-too depending upon my results.

-MD

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
OK, all I did was the fronts, and it's not been cleared by my publisher but here goes.

My Site

Click repairs on the left, then Changing fork springs.

Let me know if it was helpful. I think it would have been for me last night. the entire endevor took about 3.5 hours total.

-MD

Top Bottom