Changing Fork Seals on a '92 KDX200

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Wibby
On my 91 KDX I undid the allen key at the bottom while holding the inside with a tube and a large nut welded on the end.
When this was undone I just pushed the tubes together and pulled them apart quickly and they came apart.

Hope this helps.

Harry 91 KDX

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Harry,
What size allen and nut did you use? is it the same as the newer bikes 14 mm allen and 27 mm hex nut ?

Well, I caved... Took my forks down to the local shop today. Mechanic looked at the forks and said " oh yeah, these can be a real bugger sometimes." And yes you have to undo the allen head to get the tubes apart. So it looks like it will be a lot cheaper to have someone else do it, a lot less aggravation too! ;)

Last edited:

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Sorry Wibby I don't get on the site as much as I would like and yes it is the same 14mm & 27mm.
Main thing is you get the KDX back in the dirt.
Enjoy

Harry

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Thanks Harry!

I haven't had any luck finding a 27mm nut yet, I found a S/K 14mm hex head socket though.

I called yesturday to see if my forks were done, and the guy says "I can't get 'em apart either, I don't have the proper tool to keep the inside from turning" Then he said he could fabricate the tool and would not have time to do it until next week. So, I called my buddy and told him the news. And he said "you mean we can't go riding?" :whiner:
Then it dawned on me that it was Memorial Day weekend, so I ran down and picked up my forks. Shoot I have been riding it over a month with a leaky seal, I can ride 'er like that for the weekend. I tried making a tool with an 1 1/8 nut but it was just to loose. It may have worked if the nut was made of a harder steel. Oh well.....

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Harry again
Wibby if you can cut a peice of hardwood ( and it must be hardwood or it will just break)30mm x20mm and long enough to go in the fork leg and into a vice this will hold it long enough to g
When out you can then grind a larger nut down to fit so you can do them back up.
Sounds rough but it worked for me.

Harry

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah the 14mm allen is on the bottom where your clickers are.

No, there's no nut inside. The nut fits the shape of the top of the dampener
You can make a tool or buy one to take 'em apart, I included a pic of FRP's tool .

I've got no experiance the Kawa tool, but from the pics I don't know how it would work

Attachments

• dampenertool.jpg
    dampenertool.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 191

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom