Changing offset on a triple clamp

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Hi guys, does anyone know if it is possible to have the triple clamp rebuilt by a machine shop to change the offset. Is there a place that is specialized for that kind of work. I have an 03cr250 with a 24mm stock offset. I would like the clamp to be modified to have 20mm offset. The price of aftermarket clamps is very high I find and I was looking for perhaps another solution... thanks!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You can do it-i had a ktm clamp set done, you drill a hole 2mm bigger than std for the stem and top hole, then you fit a bush and offset mill a hole 2mm forwards.Any good machinist should do it.
Sorry this is for a 2mm change, a 4mm will require a bigger hole and you should check there is enough 'meat' in the assembly.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I have found a machinist that says he would prefer to weld both holes shut and then drill the offset hole 3mm forward. I have decided on 21mm offset, I'll see what it gives. Do you guys think that weldig on the triple clamp will weaken the the part? There was not enough meat to fit a bushing, so I suppose welding was my only option.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You could just make the bush only go forwards towards the wheel-ie offet bore the hole for the bush-then when you bore the hole it will just touch the edge of the bush.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I was worried about the bushing coming loose or breaking on hard impacts. How does the the bush stays in place, is it press fitted or glued in place?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If you make it slighly smaller id than the stem-the press the stem in, it wont budge, or you can use the heat one side freeze the other trick.

Top Bottom