Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hey. I changed the oil in my WER steering dampner today. Called them to get it straight and went to work. It was working kinda funky so I decided to try changing the oil first. Got me one of those plastic mustard squeezers and filled it with 5 wt cart fork oil. Took it off the bike, followed their instructions, filled it, bled it, repeat for 3-4 times and it's working sweet. If you have one of these dampners change the oil yourself it's not that bad at all. Trust me, I'm not that great of a wrench either. I was suprtised how much smoother it worked after it had new oil.
FT

ArmPump

Mar 12, 2002
Yep, those puppies sweeten right up with fresh oil. Here in AZ we put a little thicker oil in 'em due to the heat. WER will rebuild them for $79 when they need it. The manual recommends changing the oil every 500 hours but more frequent keeps it working well. At least on my CR500 it does. ;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Well W.E.R. seems pretty insistent that you use 5 wt cart fork oil and thats what I did. I liked it stock so thats good enough for me. A bottle of fork oil will last for several changes so it's not that much money. But hey, to each his own way of doing it.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Fred,

WER has a nice special: They'll change the oil *and* rebuild it for $29 if you send it back within the first year of ownership. I had them do mine in May. About a year or so back someone posted a method for changing the oil and bleeding it that I thought was cool: submerge the whole unit in a tub of oil and work the wiper arm back and forth until no more bubbles are seen.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks Ben

I'll just do that before going to Dirtweek.
FT

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom