KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Who to support? :think

The question always comes up, I have wondered it myself.

I have a limited amount of funds and energy that I can use to support an organization that is willing to fight to protect our rights of access on public lands.

I read a book once about the Hell's Angels and how they became so dreaded.

The biggest part of their success was from establishing "Chapters".

Folks would see an Hells Angel in town and they would assume there was more, or at least more somewhere around close enough to be a threat.

Just imagine the Sierra Clubbers coming into an area they targeted to close off and saw something like Fox stickers in Pick up windows everywhere---think they might not feel as brave if they saw such a visible presence?

I propose that we convince the BRC into establishing State-County-City or this side of town Supporting Chapters of the Blue Ribbon Coalition!

Instead of all the alphabet organizations that have basically diluted the strength of our unified voices -- have one Mother organization (BRC) with Chapters everywhere!

What do you think??

I have to work away from town for a few weeks so you all have fun, just empty the trash cans once in awhile--and don't forget to recycle your beer cans ;).

See Ya, KWJams

Last edited:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
It sure is great to be back :)

Not sure if I was very clear with the intent of this post, the fact is that we are getting clobbered by the opposition because we can not ORGANIZE TOGETHER under one single organization.

Check THIS OUT

Notice that with membership they automatically enroll individuals into Local Chapters!

What is your opinion?

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Welcome back, KW!

I agree. There's a lot of people willing to support the effort, but we are mostly scattered about in splinter groups. Our voice would be much louder if we could get united under a common, respected group.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Truespode stated in another thread:

Just remember for us riding is our hobbie. For them eliminating OHV's is their hobby. For some of them they even get paid to file lawsuits and such in order to eliminate OHV's.

The thing is, there is an equal number on our side who have an interest in maintaining the status quo. :think

Is there anything wrong with that? Nope!

We need our champions that enjoy the fight. :)

But---------,I wonder how much more clout could be gained if every group out there reorganized under the BRC as Chapters.

I am curious why there is not more contributions to this thread?

I am willing to listen to reason if anyone can convince me there is a real need for all these alphabet organizations that just end up replicating each others work and diluting the limited resources available.

It's your turn. :)

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by KWJams
Who to support? :think

have one Mother organization (BRC) with Chapters everywhere!

What do you think??

I think your 100% on the money with this, and I would think that people would be more willing to support a single, large and organized front.

I know I would:cool:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Great idea

In my opinion, BRC has been too focused on land issues out west. There's nothing wrong with that since the majority of public land is located out there. However, living east of the Mississippi, I don't see one organized group fighting for land use issues. Typically you see several smaller groups that are fighting for a specific area.

By utilizing chapters, much like the AMA, BRC could get more involved at the grass roots level. Using resources from a home office, local chapters could keep expenses down, yet maintain a strong presence.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i think this thread has some good ideas in it. i think the chapter idea is a good 1. i wonder too about the overlap between the various groups on our side; who's doing what? who needs the $ & who gets so much $ from industry sources that individuals' more limited dollars would do more good somewhere else? is anybody coordinating the efforts?

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
lawman says;

is anybody coordinating the efforts?

Nope, but maybe this can be the start if we make enough noise. :)

The different groups out there should be able to remain in place, just merge them all together into one monster group.

My recollection of history is not that great, but if I am correct it was the Iroquois Federation that was the blue print for our country.

One arrow ( colony/tribe ) will break with ease.

But unite all the arrows in a bundle and they can not be easily broken.

B

biglou

Some semi-newbie questions here.

I haven't been riding (motorized) for very long, but I have been involved with mountainbiking for about eight years now. I see a lot of similarities in the land use issues. My question is this: How big a part does the AMA play in advocating our rights? I am a fairly new AMA member and was wondering if they are a force such as the BRC when it comes to access rights.
When I joined, I was assuming that my membership would benefit our cause. I just want to make sure I am well-educated and put my money where it will do the most good, funds being limited and all. I'm sure this is the case with everyone here, also.
BTW-KW, I like the idea of "Flying our colors" in a united effort. To make our presence known can only show that we are passionate about our beliefs and that there are many of us. Good idea.:)

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
The AMA,,,

Is strongly involved with defending your /our rights to ride both on and off road. But they can not as easily cozy up to other interests like the BRC can.

The AMA is one of the BRC's biggest supporters because the BRC is versatile enough that they can talk with the lumber companies, ranchers, mountain bikers, etc.

Every city should have a local BRC chapter where all these parties can meet together and support each other in their cause.

B

biglou

So AMA members are indirectly supporting the BRC through their membership? That sounds like a good thing. I may not be the quickest sometimes, but once I find a cause I believe in, I will fight for it. I get very upset with people (and friends and aquaintances) who are not willing to join up and fight but are willing to complain when something is taken away from them. I have noticed your "If not you, then who?" line before and totally agree with it. In my opinion, a person is either part of the solution, or part of the problem. If you don't want to fight or work for what you believe in, then don't complain to me when you lose it.I am going to do some more reading and further educate myself on both the BRC and AMA. Thanks, KW.
Peace out. (sorry, Senior!)

Top Bottom