nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
Hey guys was wondering if any of you have had experience with the ocelot boots. I can't believe how cheap they are so they gotta suck or somethin. thanks for the 411. Any other recoomendations for budget boots are welcome. :ride:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I can tell you what NOT to get...O'Neal Elements. They are cheap for a reason. Mine tore up so bad after about 8 months that I had to throw them away. I just got a pair of the 05 Fox Trackers and I really like them a lot. They are low to mid price I would say. I got mine used from a local gentleman for $60, but I think they are around $130 new.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I have a pair of MSR MXT boots that I picked up for about $130.

They've up great so far, but I plan on picking up a nicer boot in the distant future.

I've heard great reviews of the Gearne SG10s. That's what I plan on trying.

warlo_527

Jun 9, 2001
This is a good thread. I have another boot related question. Hopefully it will fall into the inexpensive area as well. I have done a search and did not find any answers to my particular problem.

Is there a boot that is a little less rigid than say the Tech 8's. I have the 8's but I find they have way too much plastic/protection that I can barely change gears or hit the brake pedal. Also they are not very water resistant.

Protection is great if I were jumping 100 foot jumps with 20 riders right beside me with 220 lb machines, but I simply put around in the trails and the only protection I really need is the toe area to keep the rocks and branches from doing their damage.

Does anybody know of a more flexible boot that is comfortable and offres the basic protection?

Thanks, Warlo

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
gwcrim said:
ARC is pretty nice quality for the buck as well.

Thats the brand I wanted to mention. I believe only Rocky Mountain sells them. A few of our local dealers actually buy them from RM to sell in their shops if that is any indication of the quality.

I agree on the elements being a POS. That was my forst pair of boots. They lasted two rides before there was a hole in the side.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
I'll second a vouch for the Thor Quadrant Boot... They seem to offer good support and mine have held up pretty well...

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I got the Fox Tracker boots. Got one season out of them and now they need to be resoled. Some of the stitching let go on both boots right in the achilles area, that happened on the first ride.

I'm not all that impressed with these boots. I realize that $140 is on the low end of MX boots but that still isn't cheap. If you spent that same money at Cabella's you'd have a pretty nice pair of hunting boots that would last you for years.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
FWIW My kids have had several pairs of the ocelot boots - all have held up well - though I am sure they type of abuse they dish out is not the most extreme. My one son has a pair of the ARC $79 (Corona is the model i think) boots - I feel the Ocelots are waaaay better built than the Corona's .

Keep in mind ARC now sells two models of the house brand boots. The MX-220v appear pretty decent, but the less costly $79 Corona's are junk. Not the greatest support,and my son found them uncomfortable unless he stuck extra padding in them (the plastic on the side of the boot cuts into the side of his ankle/lower leg). I suspect the positive coments above about the ARC boots is for the MX-220v's. I am considering some for my kids next boots (the kids keep growing waaay to fast! the 15 yr old is in a size 11, and the 12 yr old needs a size 12 or 13 wide!)

If you need a size 9 or 10 - I have a pair of each size of the Ocelots to sell $35.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
warlo, if you want a quality mid-priced boot check out the Sidi Raptors. I tried on lots of boots and these were exceptional in their price range. After 2 seasons they are still in fantastic shape. I realize that much of a boot purchase has to do with how they fit your particularly shaped feet. I agree that the Tech 8s are so much overkill that my feet have too much isolation from feeling anything (like a shift lever or break pedal)....and a separate bootie...come on now...!

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Acerbis

I just bought myself a new set of boots and I tried from £200 downwards, I'm not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment but with taxes, import duties and everything else what we pay in £ is the same as the $ price, at least it is when we import a Corvette ;) !

I have wide feet and the only boots I used to feel comfortable in were Acerbis...and what did I buy this time around...Acerbis Profile at £120, this may of been a good deal at the time as I had a real big 'spend up' session in my local MX shop, I think they are a steal!
Nice solid build quality, great feel and flex where I need it, a good looking boot if are into catwalks, easy to adjust. I know they haven't done too many hours yet but with a jetwash and Mr Sheen (household spray polish) they are cleaning up lovely thus far.

...not sure if you guys have these but if you do at least try a pair on for the comfort factor. They are a MX boot but they do have some sort of tread pattern which is handy on the trail

cheers

Richard

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Waffle said:
I got the Fox Tracker boots. Got one season out of them and now they need to be resoled. Some of the stitching let go on both boots right in the achilles area, that happened on the first ride.

I'm not all that impressed with these boots. I realize that $140 is on the low end of MX boots but that still isn't cheap. If you spent that same money at Cabella's you'd have a pretty nice pair of hunting boots that would last you for years.

I agree 100% with this.

Last summer I bought a pair of "used" Trackers. My buddy got them and put about an hour on them, hated the way they felt, and sold them to me. My last ride out was the last ride for those boots, as I finally wore the soles completly through and buckled the one in half (damn did my foot hurt). I'm not going to bother getting them resoled, as I didn't care too much for the feel of em in the first place.

Before these Ihad a pair of Gaerne boots, whatever their cheapest model was around 96-97. I rode much more often and much harder back then, and they lasted me about 6 seasons. I only ditched them because the plastic guards were starting to come off, and oh yea, they were an absolutly hideous purple. I wish now I hadn't given them away :(.

My next boot is going to be the ARC 220 from Rocky Mountian. I've heard good things, and like the replaceable arc in the sole of the boot.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I asked this question a while back and determined that asking what kind of boots people like is sort of like asking what kind of pizza people like. You will get a hundred different answers because everyone rides different, has different feet, etc etc. I think my Fox Trackers are about as comfortable as they get, but others may not agree. I would just make an educated choice, buy something within your budget, and just understand that chances are...you will have to buy new boots every year or two. :cool:

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Budget boots are budget boots. A Geo tracker is not a Escalade and as you know you get what you pay for. That being said my son has the Fox trackers and likes them. He's had them for 2 years and the soles look good (he rides with feet on pegs). I think the interiors look a little sparse myself but I feel boots and helmets are not a area to compromise. I Haven't heard too many complaints about really expensive boots as of yet, but sooner or latter...?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom