RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
Ok I need some suggestions for riding boots. I want a boot with an ATV type of sole since MX boots seem to slip off my kickstarter when wet or muddy.

I have had enough of kickstarter shin and I need some boots.

Now, I really don't wanna spend $500.00 on boots either. I have a pair of Moose M1 Boots and the toe is too big to shift properly. What do you all think of the 2010 Oneal Element boots?

Any suggestions ????????

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I had an older pair of elements, and I hated them. I more often wore my work boots. I got a set of fox forma's, and they're ok. If you're on a budget, the ARC boots from rocky mountain are getting really good feedback, have the sole you want and are quite affordable. The 08 thor quadrant ATV boots are on clearance at rockymountainatv right now too. Really cheap, and again, decent feedback on those.

You can't go wrong with gaerne, sidi, or alpinestars, but you're gonna pay for them.....

J>

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I like the Oneal 2010 Elements. They felt pretty comfy for a cheap boot but have no idea on how they will hold up. I plan on buying a pair soon so I guess I will find out.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
I love my A.R.C. MX boots. http://www.rockymountainmc.com/prod...=Boots-Footwear&webCatId=3&prodFamilyId=14345

They are very well priced for what you get. Once broken in, they have a good feel and still offer a lot of protection. Mine are 4 or 5 years old and probably have about a season or 2 left, and then I will be buying another pair.

I had a pair of cheap Oneal boots before, and they were just that, cheap. Although the new Element boots do look better than the ones I bought 7 years ago.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
FYI, I was down in Nashville TN this weekend, and tried on a pair of fox comp 5's. Can I just say.. COMMMMFY! Man, felt like heaven for feet. They're an entry level boot, priced around $159 I think. Might be my next pair, for sure. Much more comfortable than my fox forma pro's.

J.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
RoadDawg said:
Ok I need some suggestions for riding boots. I want a boot with an ATV type of sole since MX boots seem to slip off my kickstarter when wet or muddy.
Any suggestions ????????
I have ATV-type boots (Vibram lug soles) and MX style boots.
The ATV boots slip just as much as the MX soles. The ATV type soles are made to give traction on the ground/dirt, not on the kick-starter.
If your foot consistently slips off the KS, it might mean your KS is bent down. Check that out.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
RoadDawg said:
I have a pair of Moose M1 Boots and the toe is too big to shift properly. What do you all think of the 2010 Oneal Element boots?

Any suggestions ????????

How about keep the boots you have and adjust the shifter?

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
I don't think it's my kickstarter.. That seems to be straight when compared to my son's KDX.

It's really that the toe is too big.. Again, I'm sure it's me and not the boots.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You'll have to get used to shifting in boots regardless of what boots you get. They all present a problem with shifting if you're not used to it.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Just another data point that may not be that useful... you all have been riding for a lot longer then I have.

But last Jan, I was riding off road and it was slimy / slippery goo. Got half way up the hill and had to abort (it was, after all, a KLR-250). So I am off the bike beside it, trying to wrestle the thing to point back down hill. It was of course an awkward position (aren't they always).

I was wearing (for the first time) an old set of boots my neighbor gave me... very old, but top of the line MX boots in their day.

Anyway, they pretty much half immobilize the ankle in terms of rotating right and left, and make it hard to shift, etc. I was dealing with it, I'm a "wear as much gear as you can stand" type of guy.

As I was trying to point the thing back down hill, I hear and feel a little "pop" in my left knee. It didn't hurt that bad, but it absolutely had that "this aint good" feeling. I didn't fall or anything, I was just in a really awkward position.

I ride for the rest of the day, and it hurts, but I protect it. About 5 hours later, the back end steps out and I dab that same leg to stand the bike back up (no big deal) and *blammo*, the fireworks go off. Owwwwwwwwwwww. Shoot me, please, somebody.

A year later, I am almost cleared to ride again (Dec). The first pop was the ACL going, the real pain was tearing the meniscus (which is pretty much inevitable if you keep going after you tear the ACL before you get surgury).

I can't blame the boots, but in researching things I found that the frequency of ACL tears went through the root when ski boot manufacturers went from boots that let the ankle rotate right to left, to rigid boots that don't. Like those MX boots don't.

The reasoning is obvious (but not proven). The boots won't let the ankle rotate, so loads that are usually non issues because the ankle can turn and get out of the way are not concentrated on the knee. Obviously the knee is stronger then the ankle, but the ACL (and PCL, and various other $10,000 ligaments in there) might not be, and a boot hooked with an ankle that can't rotate out of the way has a LOT more leverage on the knee then it would have on the ankle.

So I'll never ride again with a boot that won't let my ankle rotate. I want a LOT of leather and trauma plates in my boots to protect me from pointy things and mashing, but they need to turn freely...

(which, near as I can figure since then... is the difference between enduro boots and MX boots... but I am still learning)...

FWIW.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I busted my ACL too, amongst other things and I believe the boots did not help the situation (MX boots with no ankle rotation). Sold my boots. Am designing and building a custom pair for myself as I can't find any I like. Like reepicheep said, a lack of ankle rotation is a big issue. I can't ride until Feb 2010 and now 3 months after my op there is no way my knee could handle a dab yet if I rode.

Think of your knees when buying boots, not just your feet and ankles. Reepicheep is right about the pain, just the thought of how much it hurt actually turns my stomach, and I'm not a wimp.

I have 3 1/2 months to build my boots, if I am successful I will post pics. If not, I will slink away and hope nobody remembers this post.

Oh, that's right this is the KDX forum. Go the KDX!!! :)

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
These were the best I have found so far... I bought them as boots for the street bike, and used them off road. I got them cheaper then the add I am posting below from another close out place, I'm not trying to spam the forum with advertising. And in fact, I'm not sure I would even recommend these boots as they have two fatal flaws..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/1890/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Sonic-Boots.aspx

But they are close to being right.

The first problem is that a good part of them aren't leather at all, but some kind of plastic stuff. It's cracking over time. I could live with that, but its a stupid and unnecessary flaw.

The second problem is the bigger one. The sole is too soft, particularly on the insole, The kick starter on my KLR-250 (admittedly a lot more demanding then the kick starter on my KDX) ripped big chunks out of it. My current boots now have lots of screws, finishing nails, and two part epoxy in the ripped out chunk as a kind of kick starter plate (which I did on a whim rather then pitching the boots, and it has worked better then I expected.

They could also use a steel toe at a minimum, and a steel shank would not hurt either, just enough to keep it from folding under the peg if you are leaned over and catch a toe.

The velcro and clip part of the boot work well though, and the height is good, the shin protection is decent, as is the waterproofing.

How did they do your ACL repair? Donor tissue, hamstring graft, or patellar tendon re-route? I did the donor tissue, and my doc did a really good job. Dec 15 is my "if you tear it again its not because you rushed it" date. It feels really good at this point... nice and stable and solid.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Trials boots may be a viable option if ankle rotation is a concern. They're considerably more flexible than MX boots. My ankles are kinda weak, and I worry about snapping one. It's a compromise just like anything else.

mx boots - save breaking an ankle, but tweak a knee instead
knee braces - save tweaking the knee, but break the femur instead
leatt brace - save jamming up ya neck but break 1 or both collar bones instead

Damned if you do, damned if you don't? Interesting in seeing your project Joburble!

J.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
ACL repair done using my own hamstring. As of this date I would not recommend it, may change, who knows. Having my hamstring COMPLETELY removed creates a whole new bunch of issues for me to work through. I thought my surgeon was only going to take a slither off them.

Re boots: I am at stage 1, taking moldings of my feet and legs and putting together some boot construction and hinge concepts.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Got my comp 5's today as an early x-mas from the wifey. Ain't she sweet!?!
Anyway, just from trying on and walkin around the house, they are much more flexible than my gaernes, formas, or oneils were. Comfort is like slipping into a tennis shoe. They don't need much for break-in, and sizing is dead on tennis shoe size. I can twist my ankles in them just enough, but they still feel very supportive. Ride report if I ever manage to get out riding again! Daughters 12th b-day party saturday, so that's out. I might get out for a few hours on sunday though.

Top Bottom