BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I'm thinking about getting one of those jacked up long legged Chinese pit racers with a manual clutch and 100+ cc engine. The style I'm referring to is the type that appears to be built around a Honda CRF50 design.

If anyone has or had one of these and can give some input as to which manufactures will break on the first day and which one's won't that would be great.

There are several models available here in a warehouse environment but they're all quite different. What I would like to avoid is a $500 paper weight.

Thanks in advance for factual information...

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
You can buy it, but you will be angry you did. I have not owned on myself, but two of my friends bought them for their kids as first bikes and they are working on them after every ride. The problem is not how they're built, it's in the materials and metals they use to build them. They use very soft, cheap metal so you constantly have suspension and frame problems to the point they just end up being left out on the trail.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
That's kind of what I'm worried about. I've seen these things with bent frames and swing arms. I've also seen the chains constantly derailing. I just assumed that the rider was clueless.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You will get what you pay for... usually. Sometimes you might buy something that LOOKS like a more expensive version and all you are getting is a lighter wallet. If you really do your homework and realize you are going to spend at least $1200 to get something that will not put a frown on your face and in the same boat as all those that thought they were saving a buck you'll be ahead of the game. Honestly if you are looking at something and are not sure ask to see what parts they have on hand. No parts? Walk away. Next look at everything really hard, wled quality, paint quality even. Look to see if the fasteners are chromed or alloy, look at the engine and ask for the manufacturers tag. If the engine doesn't have a Lifan or Jialing stamp, walk away.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for the heads up. I don't mind spending a grand, after all that's what a new PW50 costs and that won't provide any pleasure for me.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I see you have a 500AF, did ya' get it new? If so I suspect you've talked with AJ at Service Honda, ask him what he thinks about Pit Vipers ;)

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
BigRedAF said:
That's kind of what I'm worried about. I've seen these things with bent frames and swing arms. I've also seen the chains constantly derailing. I just assumed that the rider was clueless.

It seems that no matter how well his have been taken care of, they are constant problems. He kept one of them around for his daughter just because she very rarely rides, but he had to go buy a real bike for his 6 year old boy because those things were breaking on every ride. Probably the scariest thing I saw happen was his kid (who is very small for his age, probably only around 40 lbs) jumped his driveway out of a drainage ditch and only got about 3' off the ground. When he landed the rear linkage snapped and the rear tire locked up against the fender. Luckily he had already skidded past the gravel, back onto the grass before he went down but it was decided then, that bike had to be replaced with a real bike.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
PATMAN,

I went to their site, cool looking bike. Do you have one?

If so, how has it held up?

Their dealer locater isn't running, I'm wondering if they have one in the Phoenix area?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah I actually have a few.... I'm Pit Viper MX :)

They seem to hold up quite well. I've got a preproduction bike I'm still flogging that's 2 years old and has been through umpteen riders at Dirt Week as well as anybody that needs a ride at my place or when we go somewhere. I've got pretty much a full parts inventory and the only ones I've sold have been typical crash damage stuff like levers or plastic. I did send AJ a swing arm for one bike that had a tweaked one when they uncrated it. Local dealer would be Service Honda or they will ship through me :). Honestly I don't know that Gregg has even seen them with all the new goings on at Service PowerSports but I know he did authorize the check to buy the first order :laugh:

Last edited:

yz125MArider

Feb 12, 2008
I had one, it looked like a cr50 actually, i beielve it was a 110 it had disk brakes and everything and i think it was cheaper than a xr50stock brand new, i bought it used for a couple of hundred bucks, it was a 4 speed manual it was sick, think did wheeles and all, would love to pick one up some other time.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the higher end ones are good quality. if you take a look at the yamaha ttr50 you'll notice it is made in china. it is good quality. if you spec good quality you get good quality. you spec cheap you get cheap.
I have one of the pit vipers. they are the upper end of pit bikes. there are a few competitors but they are slightly more expensive than pit viper.
the lifan and jialing mfg's put out quality stuff not only for the pit bike market but for some of the bigger japanese mfg's.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How's that monster mini comin' along Jasle?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
its on pause. we toasted a clutch basket in our race bike(not the pit viper), it shattered in about 30 pieces, those pieces got between the trans gears and popped a hole in bottom of the case. Opened up and found the crank was cracked from the stuffer outward. So waiting on the new motor to come in. That means the monster motor for the pit bike has to wait. I dropped a basic 50 motor in it but have not gotten it started yet...no time. We're racing the KTM Junior supercross this weekend in Houston. Cheer for us! then loretta lynn qualifier next weekend, then Whitney and Oakhill...I'll probably have it done in April at this rate...Crap, then World Mini's in april! Nothin after that until the end of july though. Other than the loretta qualifiers but they are just weekend events so its managable.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ouch!
We'll be cheering on Jr. Jasle over the next few weeks!!:cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BigRedAF you got's ya' some mail.

Top Bottom