JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
Hello all,
I've been registered here it seems like forever when I had my old KX125. I have since sold that and a few years later bought an '05 KX250F. However, this post is about my most recent purchase: '99 YZ125. Why do I need two bikes? Well, I hate riding alone and all of my friends are poor! Regardless, I'm looking on what the basic maintenance is for a used two stroke. It's already apparent I need to do the basic things (drain gas, new air filter) but is there anything else? I'll attach pictures of the bike because I'm pretty proud of this purchase. I thought it was an awfully affordable "spare" bike that is in really great shape. Still though, should any other fluids be changed? I'm by no means mechanically inclined but a manual was included so I'll do my best with my buds. The bike really wasn't ridden too much as apparent by the pictures, but would I need to change like the gear fluid and whatnot anyway? Also, the radiator fluid was lime green and visible so I figure that's good to go. It starts first or second kick but doesn't idle for anything. I've always got to be giving it gas, even in neutral, but it's a two stroke so that may be normal. Appreciate any insight! I'm going tomorrow to pick up an air filter (any brands good) and some oil (recommed any?). I'll also be picking up one of those right ratio cups for the mixture and will refer to my manual for the correct ratio (I believe it said 30:1). If I'm missing anything, let me know! And if it matters, this bike isn't really for racing so whatever you recommend figure its for trails and whatnot but racing is always possible, just not priority! Thanks!

-rye

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

One last thing, there seems to be an AWFUL amount of oil coming out of where the pipe connect to the silencer. Is there a bad seal or was the mixture too rich? It's a pain to clean up after as well. I'll attach a pic to see if you can tell if it's the connector or something else. Thanks!

Leakage pic!

EDIT: I'll also mention that I just purchased a chain/front sprocket guard on Ebay for safety reasons, so those empty screw holes will be filled soon!

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
just re-jet it there are a billion threads on here about re-jetting should not be that hard and i'm pretty sure your mixture is 32:1 i would not run any less oil than that jet it for that and you should have a really nice bike. hope you have fun. also i would recommend yamalube i ran it when i had my yz 250 and it was by far the cleanest burning oil i have used compared to ams oil. depending on what he ran it could have been a synthetic try a semi synthetic like yamalube then see if it is still dripping then re-jet.

polaris4x4er

Apr 7, 2008
about the oil and airfilter a twin air is a pretty good airfilter and oil i use either bel-ray witch is on the expensive side or yamalube.... and the dripping would be b,c the oil mixture is to strong but is not a bad thing if you dont mind cleaning it up everyonce in awhile

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
Alrighty,
Well I had a friend of mine help me with getting some of the things accomplished that I wanted to get accomplished.

1. Air filter replaced and reoiled
2. Old gas drained and replaced with new premix
3. Chain lubed
4. Gear fluid was checked initially (found to be low) and then drained and replaced to manuals specifications
5. Spark plug replaced

That's pretty much the jist of it and the bike starts on the first kick every time. Still doesn't idle because we didn't get to that, but runs great! I think this was an awesome purchase and I'm eager to try it out this weekend locally so if it breaks down it won't be too far to push back! Thanks for the help guys, I really do appreciate it.

-rye

Top Bottom