clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I wouldn't consider farmland very residential. I wouldn't be mad if a track went up next door, but that's because I am a dirtbiker. If someone opened up an airport, or something else noisy it would bother me. I can see both sides of the story, but I must say I have to support the track owner. It is becoming increasing hard to find places to put tracks, and when a place is found, someone moves in and doesn't like the sound so it gets shut down. That just palin right out sucks! The lady that wrote this story is a dramatizer. She makes things sound like they are a matter of life and death. I have a feeling that she knows how to play people for her own personal gain. I hope te track owner the best of luck, he'll need it.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
They should close the track and then all the ex-riding folks can do something quiet - like drugs and alcohol and spousal abuse - things that are much easier to ignore.

and when those terrible little kids have nothing to do, they can go and burglarise her house and steal her computer!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH

It may not be grammatically(sp?) correct but she sure painted the picture she wanted to be conveyed.

Thanks, that is what i meant. I cant spell or write so i cant critize that part of her story.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I agree with FC22. She lost me after the first paragraph. I could hardly figure out what was going on. There was a professional golfer who poured concrete on the side?

I sent a note to the editor:

For crap's sake, are you guys that hard up for stories? Gail McElroy's story about motorcycles & the environment sucked. I'm not even sure what her point was. Perhaps I should illustrate my criticism in a structure she'd understand: "The poor, flustered, earth-conscious woman was much too colorful and descriptive for my imagination to comprehend, said I. Alas, as I ponder the bird turd that is the human race, whatever would my father have done if his land was so forcefully raped like a prison inmate?"

Geeze. I'm an aspiring writer as well. I've got an op-ed piece about naturists and their disregard for deodorant & regular bathing. Care to take a look-see?

If, on the other hand, she was some sort of elementary school contest winner, please extend my congratulations on her mastery of a thesarus. Well done, little girl.

That kind of suckiness shouldn't be allowed.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Zio got what I was trying to say. When I bitch about someone else's writing, it isn't entirely about grammar and punctuation. Her descriptions were over the top, her exaggerations were obvious, and she skipped around and made little to no sense. All she was trying to do was exaggerate the problem to incite an emotional response to the tragedy she thought she saw in her back yard.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Similar thing here, regarding zoning laws, thus the reason for my first post. Short Story; landowner wants to sell wooded area behind my house, except he wants it rezoned to 1/2 acre lots, vs the current 2.5 acres lots (25 homes, rather than the 10 originally planned for). For MANY reasons (traffic, taxes, trees, school district burden, etc) we (many neighbors) are currently fighting the re-zoning. It's a battle and it's all about swinging a couple of the village trustees to our side. The political crapola makes me sick. Happens all the time. Who's got the $$$ *usually* wins. End of story. Getting people off their lazy asses to do something about it is yet another story.

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
In my town, rezoning really isnt that hard. When my grandpa died, his farm land was devided between the 2 sons(my uncles). This started a big family fight because my one uncle farmed it before my grandpa died, the other uncle wanted it zoned for housing. The whole thing worked its way out and it didn't get zoned. It would have been really easy, though, it is a small town.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I can understand what Okie and the others are saying about re-zoning: When we bought our house we looked at a master map of everything that was zoned to go in around us. One of the builders reneged on his developement when housing prices fell a few years ago and another builder tried to come in and get this particular piece of property re-zoned for apartments!

To make a long story short, the neighborhoods surrounding this property (including mine) weren't too thrilled with the idea, and we let the city know it. Lucky for us we have a city council here that actually listens!

Now with a new housing boom in full swing a 3rd developer has come in and started building new houses under the original zoning agreement.:thumb:  And yes, I still ride right out of my garage! :yeehaw:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
Zio got what I was trying to say. When I bitch about someone else's writing, it isn't entirely about grammar and punctuation. Her descriptions were over the top, her exaggerations were obvious, and she skipped around and made little to no sense. All she was trying to do was exaggerate the problem to incite an emotional response to the tragedy she thought she saw in her back yard.

I completely agree that she was over the top BUT that is what gets the emotional response needed from the people that will support her 'cause'. Seems I've seen this tactic work very well before - must of been the Sierra Club that pioneered this one.......

Brian

Petzl

Nov 22, 2002
It all depends on the present zoning. If it wasn't zoned for allowing a race track then she has every right in the world to complain. But, judging from her letter, it sounds like a track is allowed, thus the reasoning she is going on and on about the flowers and such because otherwise she would have a legitmate complaint to here local representatives and officials.

Since we don't know the history and whole story you can't pass judgement. The track owner could be a complete a-hole and let people ride at all hours, not left any bordering trees and greenry to help cut the noise, and create and blight out of a very scenic area. I'd be pissed too if somebody did that on land bordering me with absolutely no consideration for his neighbors even if he was well within his rights to do so. Thing is, if that is the case, the track owner will have a much harder time arguing his side then she will her's.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Even if the zoning didn't preclude the building of a race track the neighbor will probably 'win' on a noise issue. Noise has a nasty habit of not respecting property lines and is usually the gotcha that shuts down a lot of different types of activities - even if it is on your own property.

Brian

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I don't know how I missed this, here is what I sent in our email group about it...

I have ridden there and I didn't even know there were houses other than the Knott's anywhere even close. As for cutting down trees, yes he did off quite a few, but not near as many as they did across the street from my house which is now just a big mess of broken limbs and mud. Mark completely cleaned the whole area. Not one branch was left where he cut, he left probably 5 times as many trees as he cut down. They DO have grass growing, or they did around september of last year, and it is everywhere, the rules are to not ride in it because they want it there to prevent erosion, this was before the issue even came up.

I am OK friends with the family and I think the whole thing is stupid. The area is filled with prude, old, rich people. How many trees were on her property before they built her probably gigantic house? I don't see how the noise can be bad since the track IS in a valley completely surrounded on all sides.

As I said earlier, there is no way to tell where her house is. The Knott's own quite a bit of land and I thought the only houses were the Knott's and the one that Mark built for his parents. I don't know what else to say about this except I hope they get this resolved as quick as possible.

Top Bottom