CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Just wanted to say hi to all the good folks here.

I'll submit a detailed report eventually but for now here are the highlights:

-Currently based on the Iraq/Kuwait border. We were originally slotted for Balad (north of Baghdad, south of Tikrit).
We've JUST reached our final (for now) destination & begun the handoff.

-We're pushing convoys North out of here. A lot of IED's on the Northern routes - probably 10 on our first work day. They're mostly missing the cabs & hitting the trailers. No KIA yet. We have good updated intel.

-I'm planning a route recon as far north as the BN will let us go. I'll just take 1 vehicle/team of (4) pax. Oddly enough I've got plenty of volunteers.

-Got mortared in Balad. Check that one off the list. No biggie, it missed by 500 meters. I was asleep. Still counts!

-I'm dying for a big bore. Kuwait is flat and open - no rocks, no bushes. I want to buzz the camel herds & freak out the bedouins(sp?). :thumb:

-Last camp we're in had 12,000 troops & very few internet connections. Big lines for EVERYTHING. Kept running out of water in the showers. Dust storms, etc. New camp is called "Navistar". It's much smaller. We're still in a "transient" tent until someone rotates out (2-3 weeks). At least there's power & the food's not bad here. Then we'll move into tents w/ AC. Tents will eventually be replaced w/ trailers although that's a long way off. For now we've got 16 people packed into 1 tent, including 3 females. Boredom will be our worst enemy cause there's not much to do & almost no privacy. Good thing we brought the boxing gloves!

-It's 70's - 90ish during the day I'm guessing. Supposed to hit about 150 this summer. Prolly drop 20 lbs the hard way for sure!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Capt,
Great to hear from you!
Y'all are in our hearts and minds.
May God be with you and your troops!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good to hear from you, keep your head down.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
thanks for the update! Its interesting to hear info outside of the media

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Glad to here you are OK Jack. The Eel and I need you to get home soon as you can as we need your help. For some stupid reason we decided to be the Loop Capitans for the D-37 Ghost Rider again.

Where should I send the big bore? Will Kiwi's AF500 do ya OK?

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
I have a question. Around here (Washington) almost everyone seems to feel that the war in Iraq is a waste of US lives, we should never have gone to war, President Bush is a horrible president, etc. This is not how I feel, but what are the soldier's opinions about the war? After all, you're the only ones who truly experience both the positives (helping the Iraqi people), and the negatives (getting shot at/killed)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
J_freak ...
First of all, we aren't going to turn this into a political thread, but...
Second... I'll say this;

When the Commander In Chief sends you off, you do the deed. Plain and simple. When you raised your right hand, that's what you swore to do.

Thank heaven there are those that do. It's pretty easy for those that sit at home, enjoying the good life the country has ALLOWED them, to pass judgement... all the while enjoying the best standard of living on the planet only because those before them gave their lives.

Is any life lost less important because the network news channels think less of any war since WW2? I think not.

FYI: that's the last war the liberal media has backed... pretty sad when you consider that most people get their "Knowledge" from watching morons like Dan Rather.

Last edited:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
CPT Jack, take care over there, you'll be back soon enough :thumb:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Good to hear from you Capt. Stay safe. I know a great KTM dealer in Dubai. There is a direct flight everyday out of Kuwait. I am sure your CO wouldn't mind giving you a 4 day pass to go get a dirt bike.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Thanks all, it's great to hear from every one of you!

And thank you, Tony! Actually you could send any of Kiwi's bikes over & I'd be plenty happy. :p

j_freak, I haven't been on the ground long enough yet to get a read on the gunslinger's feelings. I can only say that the soldiers in my unit believe in what we're doing and don't question those issues. I haven't seen any griping from any units here yet. A sense of purpose is key and we have plenty of that.

Generally speaking the military is pretty pro-Bush though. Doing long deployments to crappy places really opens your eyes to how blessed we are at home and the cost involved. It also becomes very apparent that the average person takes it for granted and are mostly clueless to the harsh realities that exist outside our borders. That tends to align you to the right.

We thought the outgoing units would have an attitude w/ us FNG's but they are REALLY happy to see us. For them to look us in the eye & know their replacements are here is akin to "pinch me so I know I'm not dreaming".

Eelio, yes spirits are still good. The summer heat should put that to the test. I don't have my snail mail address w/ me right now, but I'll put that up soon.

Out here,
JM

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
CPT Jack said:
Doing long deployments to crappy places really opens your eyes to how blessed we are at home and the cost involved. It also becomes very apparent that the average person takes it for granted and are mostly clueless to the harsh realities that exist outside our borders.

Amen to that!
:thumb:

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
It is very hard to make any type of statement about the current issues going on in the various locations in the world but after 9/11 those people that have attacked us don't value life like us and will more than likely never enjoy what we call "Freedom"! Fighting for 1000's of years has been the lifestyle they live. What a shame! It will never end! They just don't know who they are messing with! If the United States wasn't a peaceful Nation and if we didn't care about people in other parts of the world our Armed Forces would have finished them all off long ago! Thank you for supporting the best country in the world! God Bless and come home soon and ride!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Well said, Bob.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Howdy Jack, there's a lot of your D-37 bros over there now, so you all need to hook-up and steal those 650 kawis for the day.

Be safe and remember, there's a rock and cactus back here in SoCa with your name on it

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jack:

Take care, keep your head down and ...

When you get one, post your address and tell us what you need.

Top Bottom