Circuitrider: The promise of "second ride" not forgotten

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I rode my KTM 950 to Grayling this weekend to get some road/trail time in on it. I also wanted to test it loaded with gear in case I do get to go around Lake Superior this summer.

Off the main subject, but I found out last week my cancer is back. It's caught early, and I can this time have chemotherapy to knock it down, but with that my ride time etc., is up in the air. So Lake Superior may have to wait awhile.

Anyway, with my GPS, I thought I'd trial the "all terrrain" prowess of this big boy (nicknamed Thing 2 like in Cat in the Hat. My KTM 450 is Thing 1). So I headed......north west. Through paved roads, two trackers, sand washes, it did pretty well. When the front wheel would break loose in the sand though, it would remind me of its 400 pounds!!!

My destination - East Jordan. Purpose - Fatherandson called "second ride" for his Dad when I was shopping for my 950. So I was going to pay up.

I got to East Jordan, didn't know where I was going. I saw two steeples sticking up through the trees, and figured that they were a definite possibility. The first one was a Presbyterian Church, the second one a couple blocks away was paydirt! Now to find the parish. Ha ha ha!!! The house next to the church was a dead ringer, there was a motorcycle trailer in the lawn! Question - how many dirt biking ministers to YOU know? Me? ONE!

The house was obviously vacant, and I hope Senior and wife were away enjoying some free time!

I got a picture of my 950 on my phone camera in the driveway as proof, but darned if I can figure out how to get that onto my computer. Anyone have a Razr and know how to get the pics to an email address?

So Circuitrider, you still have "second ride", unless I hit KTMmike's this afternoon (still up in the air Mike, I'll call if I'm close). You WILL like the ride!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. While on a sandy dirt road I happened to pass a half dozen quad riders. I wish I had a picture of their faces when they saw what I was riding down the trail! Priceless!

Also, the whole ride was awesome. If you are looking for a dirtable streetbike, the 950 is it!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
:cool: Cool story Mark... but how are you writing this??

MWEISSEN said:
I got a picture of my 950 on my phone camera in the driveway as proof, but darned if I can figure out how to get that onto my computer. Anyone have a Razr and know how to get the pics to an email address?
Who's your provider? If it's Verizon you have to subscribe to their Pix service to upload images. It's a crock to lock customers into their services. They lock down the Razr so you can't move images directly off the phone via USB. You can flash the firmware to get rid of the all restrictions and Verizon-branded stuff, including the OS. See http://www.motomodders.net for more info. Or pay for their service.

Did you get my messages? Will try calling again, but I'd rather see you on your 950 with Lake Superior in the background.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark

If you are still around the area tomorrow (tuesday), feel free to stop by! (I am assuming you wont be by yet this evening).

That Superior ride is a nice one...done it multiple times. Used to be one loooong stretch without gas on 17 that you had to make sure to fill up before you headed into it! Dodge the moose to!

I hope to see you around tomorrow!

Mike

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog, I'm staying at my parents, my Dad has a phone (yaaawwwnnn) modem. You're right about Verizon, good coverage but pay for every little thing. I do like the Razr phone though. I had a Motorola 670 (the newest one) PocketPC phone that I could receive and send email and internet with anywhere, but frankly it was a pain as a phone. I won't get another one of those until that technology has baked a little more. Besides, that went with my job....

I didn't get the messages, sorry. You must have talked to one of my kids. You see there's a direct tunnel from one ear to another and when they **** their head a little bit the message rolls out onto the floor and collects as dust bunnies under the fridge. I hear it's a common problem with teenagers. I'll be back home after tomorrow.

Mike I WAS heading your way today!! I got caught in a nasty mudhole. Darn, this 950 just doesn't go through foot deep mud like a regular dirt bike, it tends to trench!!! :yell: Otherwise, the ride was cool. I got about 27 miles away, and it was getting really late. It was made later by a guy that stopped me at a gas station in Gaylord that has a BMW GS, and really wanted to know how the KTM did. He just got home from a failed UP adventure trip where his ignition went toast. Says he has had a problem the past couple of years with boiling batteries dry unless he keeps his headlights on high beam. I stronghly suggest a good look at his voltage regulator.

I WILL make it again, but not this trip. So sorry, I really wanted to see you and the fam again.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Mark,

I am sooooo sorry we weren't at the EJ parsonage...

I you'd let me know, we'd have been there...

If it was Sunday, we were at LMC grounds schmoozin' with Uncle Larry, Fred, Johansen, Mike Jr. and the DRN members who are also laying out Jack Pine...

I guess I'll have to put DS tires on the Bonneville and we'll have a "post treatment" ride up the powerline E of EJ..

Blessings on you and Marie and the kids,

We'll do anything we can,

Mike & Edrye

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I kind of figured you were at the LMC grounds. Sorry I didn't try to call ahead of time, but I just kind ended up there, thought I'd try to look you up. I half thought of riding down there that day, but then got sidetracked along the Grand Traverse and Torch Lake shorelines.

I will be back, and I'll have to call this time, or be at the service. 9am sharp if I remember, correct?

I hope to see you at Jack Pine!

I did stop through LMC today (7/4) on the way home and chatted with DLeathers. Sounds like Jack Pine is all set to go!

No need to get the Triumph with DS tires, the KTM does as well on the road as on the dirt.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Mark,
It Was Finally Nice To Put A Face With A Drn Name, Sorry About The Mis-information About Circuit Rider He Must Have Been There While We Were Still Out Riding Trail, I Never Saw Him. Your Ride And Set-up On The 950 Had Me Drooling Big Time. If I Could Just Get My Other Half Off That Quad And On 2 Wheels There Might Be A Chance For Me, She Refuses To Be A Passenger, And I Won't Leave Her Home Alone With Me Out Having Fun, That's Why I Bought Her The 400ex And A Nice Rv To Stay In A Jack-pine. It Seems To Work Out Well,for Now. Hope To See You At Jack-pine!!!!

Dave Leathers.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Mark,

I'd like my ride to be next years Pine Cone, with g-son Kyle BEHIND me instead of between me and the controls...

Blessings, Mike Sr.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
MWEISSEN said:
I rode my KTM 950 to Grayling this weekend to get some road/trail time in on it. I also wanted to test it loaded with gear in case I do get to go around Lake Superior this summer.

Off the main subject, but I found out last week my cancer is back. It's caught early, and I can this time have chemotherapy to knock it down, but with that my ride time etc., is up in the air. So Lake Superior may have to wait awhile.

Anyway, with my GPS, I thought I'd trial the "all terrrain" prowess of this big boy (nicknamed Thing 2 like in Cat in the Hat. My KTM 450 is Thing 1). So I headed......north west. Through paved roads, two trackers, sand washes, it did pretty well. When the front wheel would break loose in the sand though, it would remind me of its 400 pounds!!!

My destination - East Jordan. Purpose - Fatherandson called "second ride" for his Dad when I was shopping for my 950. So I was going to pay up.

I got to East Jordan, didn't know where I was going. I saw two steeples sticking up through the trees, and figured that they were a definite possibility. The first one was a Presbyterian Church, the second one a couple blocks away was paydirt! Now to find the parish. Ha ha ha!!! The house next to the church was a dead ringer, there was a motorcycle trailer in the lawn! Question - how many dirt biking ministers to YOU know? Me? ONE!

The house was obviously vacant, and I hope Senior and wife were away enjoying some free time!

So Circuitrider, you still have "second ride", unless I hit KTMmike's this afternoon (still up in the air Mike, I'll call if I'm close). You WILL like the ride!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. While on a sandy dirt road I happened to pass a half dozen quad riders. I wish I had a picture of their faces when they saw what I was riding down the trail! Priceless!

Also, the whole ride was awesome. If you are looking for a dirtable streetbike, the 950 is it!

Mark, you gonna be home tomorrow? I 'll bring by a nifty software pack and we can upload straight to your PC. maybe even make a nifty ringtone out of your 950 barking.

give me a call. 583-9283

scott

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Scott, thanks, sorry I missed this email all day. Give me a few days OK? I'm pretty much immobile right now, spent the last two days flat on my back. I messed my back up pretty bad. :bang:

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
MWEISSEN said:
Scott, thanks, sorry I missed this email all day. Give me a few days OK? I'm pretty much immobile right now, spent the last two days flat on my back. I messed my back up pretty bad. :bang:
no problem. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow afternoon. But other wise just let me know when you're up to it. :cool: I work 3rd shift, so if I dont answer right away.... :think: but I can do when ever duing the day. just let me know what works for you.

feel better buddy. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom