Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Well, last Sunday I rode a motorcycle “up north” for the first time ever. I rode the Geels south trail, and for someone who has lived most of his life in southeast Michigan (Taylor), it was fun to ride a true “trail”. I had a 1973 Suzuki TS100 and 1976 RM125 in my teens, and rode a mile away from my house on a large chunk of undeveloped land--once the building started in the late seventies, well, you know . . . Never raced the RM125, but used to ride/train very hard and could ride at a good clip--then went some 25 years without a motorcycle (what was I thinking?). Well, several years ago, knowing that there are virtually no legal off-road riding areas nearby, I purchased a 2002 Yamaha XT225 (dual sport) so I could legally putt-putt around on side streets and get in a little bit of riding.

Inspired by the trail reports of Terry Nestrick, Woodsy, 2TrakR, and others, I decided to try one of the trails, and selected Geels south. Due to time constraints, this was an “up and back in one day” trip. I planned on being on the road by 8:00 am , but it was closer to 9:00 am by the time I got everything loaded, etc. Started getting anxious to get on the road. Pretty much remembered to take everything except a supply of CDs (just had to make do with the Herb Albert CD already in the player). No adventures during the three hour drive except for some guy in a minivan. There were a few short construction areas where traffic stopped momentarily, and I am stopped in the right lane, and this guy comes flying up in the left lane (where traffic has also stopped), and at the very last second he swerves to avoid the vehicle in front of him and swerves into the right lane ahead of me. A few miles later, he pulled the same maneuver up ahead with another set of vehicles, and then once past the construction area, I noticed him periodically drifting about three feet over the right line of the freeway. Well, suffice it to say that I when I finally passed this guy, I gave him a wide berth and got by as quickly as possible. Some miles later, after a rest stop, I had to pass him again, and each time I would watch in my rear view mirror and make sure that he was dropping behind (kind of like Dennis Weaver in that old movie, Duel). By the time I got to St. Helens, purchased gas and a local map, and had lunch, it was about 1:00 when I was unloading my bike in the parking lot--only a few other people were there. It would be a large understatement to say that conditions were very dusty. Based upon the behavior of riders when I arrived and when I left, there must be some unwritten rule that once you start your motorcycle or quad you must race around the parking lot kicking up a huge dust cloud.

I started my bike and crossed old 76, and I ran into a fellow XT225 rider heading back to the parking lot. He told me that the sand is a real bear, and says that since my bike is plated, I should consider taking the seasonal road to the trail. Well, here is where I got a bit turned around. I started off on a dirt (sand) road to the left, and after about 3 -4 miles ended up at a campground. I head back to the starting area and, this time head down the right road. At this point, I should note that if there is any doubt in anyone‘s mind, stock OEM street legal knobbies are not the hot set-up for a very sandy road, especially a 2.75 front tire. Now keep in mind, it has been some 27 years since I have ridden a motorcycle on sand. Fortunately, some of the old balance and reactions still remained in my 44 year old body, and I was doing OK on the sand road. Just trying to keep my weight back and the power on, but not trying not to go beyond second or third gear, because at times, the front wheel inexplicably starts to wander as though yanked by some malevolent sand monster. By the way, it is strange how a ride on a sandy road can make you so excited when a patch of gravel occurs (some gravel is coming up in the road--goody!). Well, I am now on the right road and more or less tracking along on a straight line (have to give my motorcycle its head once in a while and move off to the right or left), when all of a sudden, a little dark gray critter is wandering down the road toward me on the right side. Really not sure what he was (not a gray squirrel or a possum), but he had a roundish body and a stubby tail. I am waiting for him to do the usual wild animal thing and scurry off into the brush, but he is a particularly earnest little fellow and he is just looking up at me and trotting along toward me. My first thought is, you are not really going to make me try an “intentional” turn in this sand, are you Mr. Forest Creature? Alas, that is exactly what I had to do, and suffice it to say the maneuver involved some use of my legs as outriggers (not the first or last time on these roads), but both myself and Mr. FC went on our separate ways.

Once I finally got on the “official” trail, I was rewarded for all my sand road riding with . . . more sand, except now, it has the additional challenge of deep whoops. Now, 2TrakR had kindly given me a heads up about the sand at Geels south and even suggested that I might want to take the seasonal roads to avoid the worst of it (I think that was his polite way of saying, “you are going to ride a stock dual sport 225 trail bike on a sandy, whooped out trail? Are you kidding?” The problem was, although I have a very good sense of direction on paved roads, the lack of a detailed map and any kind of road markings did not give me any confidence that I could hop on a seasonal road and then hop back on the trail, and have any idea of where I was actually at (I did not want my first trail ride to involve tracking dogs and helicopters with search lights--Woodsy, you will never hear me tease you about trail directions). There was another factor, though, and it was that I was a bit stubborn and wanted to ride the complete distance of the trail. There are times when this type of stubbornness is a good thing, and times when it is not. This time, not so good (more about that later). I am riding along, and I am thinking about Terry’s trail report from last spring that involved a lot of water crossings. I have the opposite problem. The trail is SO dry, that it is mostly deep sand and deep whoops. I get my weight back and keep the power on, and my little XT225 is gamely handling the challenge. The XT does not, of course, have motocross suspension, so I am in first and second gear, and not trying to skim the tops of the whoops as in my RM125 days. I am standing on the pegs motoring up and down the whoops, and wondering how long the sand is going to last. As it turned out, I would guess that about 2/3 to 3/4 of the trail length was deep sand, and at least half of it was deep whoops. It was such fun when a hard packed section through the woods would come along. Third gear, weaving around obstacles, and even better was the occasional hill. I have to say that the hills were a treat, and one of the reasons that I selected Geels south.

After some two hours of non stop riding, I am getting tired, but did not stop and take a break partly because I did not want to be driving home late at night. Remember, I cannot blast down the trail and skim the tops of the whoops, but also I do not want this to turn into a five hour trail ride. I should add that I work at a desk, and am not proud to say that I have been leading a largely sedentary life style. I am starting to have my right foot pulled down and under by an occasional stump or rock. I believe the first time was when the trail was heading gradually down hill, and I did not realize it and picked up some extra speed. After that first episode, I started to get better at anticipating a gradual downhill. I also had my left foot come off the peg and then the peg hit the front of my left leg. It finally happened, however, and after almost two hours of riding the deep sand/whoops, I came to an abrupt stop with the bars locked to the right or left, and just . . . fell over. It kind of surprised and irritated me. There was no damage to my myself or my bike (not even the mirrors or turn signals). I kept going and a short time later, it happened again. It happened again as I was heading up a long, sandy hill. I picked up the XT, started it back up, shifted in to first, and it gamely scampered up the rest of the hill. Can’t remember if it happened before or after the hill, but I was riding on relatively flat, sandy ground when I again came to an abrupt, bars-locked stop and fell over to the right. This was the most serious fall, not because of any speed, but my right knee hit the ground first and then my leg was pinned under the 238 lb (dry weight) bike with my right foot pointed to the right. I was straddling the bike and when I tried to move my left leg, I fell a sharp pain on my inner left calf as it was burned by the exhaust. I could not move my right leg, and when I tried to move my left, it was burned again. Hmmm, not good. I stopped trying to move for a few moments, and then worked on freeing my right leg. With some gentle effort, I was able to shift my right foot ever so slightly, and after a short time (probably just 20 to 30 seconds, but it seemed longer), I was able to free my right leg and right my bike (again, no damage). The last 45 minutes of the ride seemed more like an endurance run than anything, but I was able to enjoy some of the views and the occasional hard packed section of trail. I completed the trail in less than three hours, and I was really tired when I arrived at my truck. With construction zones, etc. , it was about 8 o’clock when I pulled into my driveway.

Some afterthoughts:

When I noticed that Terry Nestrick rides a CRF450, my first thought was, “Wow, Terry really takes his trail riding seriously.” Having ridden the mostly sandy, and whooped 22 miles of Geels south, I would now add, “Terry chose wisely”. To me, the trail seemed to be more of a motocross course (even many of the turns were sandy berms) than a woods trail. My little XT did a terrific job considering the conditions, and any falls were due to my own lack of conditioning and less than optimal tires, but before I would ride on a trail like Geels south again, I would A) be in better condition, and B) be mounted on a full bore motocross bike or enduro bike (not a dual sport trail bike).

I ended up with a mild four inch burn on my left leg, and just a slightly bruised right knee. Not trying to preach to anyone, but I know better than to ride past the point of fatigue, and I could have been seriously injured a number of times. Some of my long dormant riding skills were returning, but after several hours, fatigue was a serious danger. I would be drifting toward a tree or branch, my mind would send the proper instructions for weight placement, throttle, and bar movement, and there would be a delayed reaction by my body. It is worth noting that my “sand falls” all occurred after fatigue set in. The combination of riding by yourself (I did not see another rider while I was on the trail) and fatigue is not a good one. Also, jeans and work boots are OK for putt-putt riding on side streets, but probably not OK for serious trail riding. I did, however, have a full face helmet and a fully padded Joe Rocket jacket.

Despite all my complaining about the sand/whoops, I am completely impressed that the CCC (working with government agencies) has been able to develop trails like Geels all over northern Michigan. It only takes one ride to appreciate all of the work involved in not only establishing a trail, but keeping it clear of brush, fallen trees, etc.

I would like to ride some other trails, but if possible, would like find some with less sand/whoops and more hills. Not sure if the “less sand” part is doable in Michigan. If I recall my seventh grade Michigan History class, most of Michigan was once covered with a salt ocean (hence the huge salt mines under Detroit), so sand is prevalent. I am hoping to try one of the dual sport routes set up by the CCC and the Great Lakes Dual Sporters. Probably a better fit given my current fitness level and motorcycle. I intend to keep my XT225, so I could also buy a KTM or Gas Gas for the trails. That’s not being extravagant, that’s merely buying the proper equipment, right? One might say it is being downright responsible . . .

Thanks for reading my story.

Tom

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Cool story there Tom! Your "forgot to ride for 20 years" background is similar to a bunch of MTR'ers here.

It's funny - Open-face helmet and work boots was the extent of my gear back when I rode as kid. Now I'm sportin' more protection than Trojan Man. Gear up so you can make it back to that desk job on Monday.

And for some better trails and riding partners, hook up with any of the good guys here on DRN! TrailFest in October is a great event.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"I intend to keep my XT225, so I could also buy a KTM or Gas Gas for the trails. That’s not being extravagant, that’s merely buying the proper equipment, right? One might say it is being downright responsible . . ."

My kinda guy there Tom!! :thumb: My wife fell for that line until I came home with the 23rd bike.. Then it was more like the 23rd Psalm - yea, I was walking in the Valley of the shadow of Death - and I FEARED that women :laugh:

Really a SUPERB writeup! I thoroughly enjoyed all the great detail of your ride. For your first rate report you deserve a chance to come over and ride THE BOON - you will LOVE it!! Park in the Caberfe lot and ride North to the pavement and then south to the bridge with very little sand or whoops!!
Just get an Emergency Kit from Ted del Solar before you go and you wont have any more problems with those "Woodsy Traits" you started to demonstrate!!

IMHO, MX boots are as important as a helmet!
GLAD YOU GOT OUT AND RODE :worship:
Woodsy

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Tom, thanks for sharing your Geels south ride. Like Smitdog said, most of us are just like you - we used to ride when we were younger, then girls, cars, school, kids, etc. took over. Later on, we all got smart again and got back into bikes. My wife actually said it the best the other day, talking to someone about my motorcycling, "it's his passion". Well, that's pretty close.

You would enjoy that type of trail more on a nicer dirt bike, but don't rule out the other Japanese bikes as well, especially the CRFX250, or even a motocross bike.

Hope to see you on the trail!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Looks like you had a great time Tom. Cool deal

Next time you want to go out riding post it here 1st about a week inadvance. I am sure a riding partner will appear.

Like a wise person once said " If you post it they will come"

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Based upon the behavior of riders when I arrived and when I left, there must be some unwritten rule that once you start your motorcycle or quad you must race around the parking lot kicking up a huge dust cloud.

Thank God I wasn't consuming liquid when reading that - it would have been all OVER the computer! Those riders are known as Parking Lot Rats or Posers (depending on quality of donut).

Nice write up! After all this rain, that trail would actually be fun right now.

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
just had to make do with the Herb Albert CD already in the player

Reminds me of the time I drove to Wolverine----5 hours. The only 8-track I had was "Hits of the 70's". Stuck on track 1. Mac Arthur Park was the first song on that track:

"Someone left the cake out in the rain
But I don't think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never had that recipe again oh no, OH NO!!"

And another nice line from that song:

"In love's hot fevered iron like a stripped pair of pants" WTF?

Of course the song was going through my head every second of my ride.

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Woodsy, I have a question about the route that you kindly shared:

“ride THE BOON - you will LOVE it!! Park in the Caberfe lot and ride North to the pavement and then south to the bridge with very little sand or whoops!”

I found Boon on a Michigan map, but could not find Caberfe. Is this a section of the MCCT that you are talking about, or is it some ultra secret Woodsy route?

Thanks,

Tom

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Caberfae is a ski resort located north of 55 maybe 10 miles east of 37. As you turn into the entrance to the ski resort look to the right the staging area is right there. The trail head is at the south east corner of the lot. It goes east 5 miles and then splits north and south. South will take you 10 miles to Lincoln Bridge and on down thru Lincoln Hills and Little Manistee. North will take you actually past Boone before you hit road sections were a plate is required, about 10 miles me thinks. Both sections (north and south) are great trails. I think the North spur is the best. This is not really a trail loop but part of the Mccct trail. But its awsome.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
If you'd like a nice starter loop with minimal sand. Give Cedar Creeks south loop a try. The north loop can get a bit sandy but not really that bad. Cedar Creek is North West of Grand rapids. If you'd like we could car pool over there? Even Woodsy can't get lost on that loop system. As for the lot rats. I just try to get to the trails ASAP!

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
YZMAN400, thanks a bunch for the directions and the additional insights about the Caberfae trail.

70marlin, I really appreciate the Cedar Creek information. I am definitely adding it to my list of potential trail rides, and will contact you if I get a chance to try it.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I do quick rides all the time to CC. I live a little west of Jackson on I-94. To Cedar Creek, my best time has been like 1 & 55 minutes. But I'm sure that could be beaten?

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Tomck

I want to start with an apology for my inability to keep up to date with the MTR forum lately ... it caused me to totally miss your excellent, interesting, funny, very personal and COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE BY ME riding experiences at Geels South.

This afternoon I got to read your post twice ... it brought back a bunch of memories regarding the many rides I have experienced there over the past three riding seasons. During my first couple of years I too would go there during the summer months [after the spring dry-up and before the fall rains] and struggle with the sand ... it is just a part of riding lower peninsula trails ... one that you will soon master again ... not necessarily enjoy that much ... but master in a way that you do not spend all your energy getting through such trail sections ... as you proclaimed, having the right equipment and being in reasonable condition is a majority of the battle if you have already developed the basic skills in earlier years of riding.

I had to laugh out loud several times while reading your descriptions of riding along [after fatigue has set in] and suddenly the front end tucks and down you go! Having started riding at 55, and being relatively crazy in that my first bike was a CRF-450R [more on that subject later], I can completely sympathize with you ... it has happened to me so many times that I have mastered the maneuver and can perform it with such finesse that folks riding with me sometimes are fooled into believing that I actually tried to do it! [If you believe this, you should seek medical help!] At first though, you go down with the bike and often become tangled in the parts ... but good news ... as you develop the 'tuck and fall' skill further, you'll soon learn to stay out from under the bike and just roll off to the side ... however, if after additional practice you fail to develop the reaction times of a 'normal rider' [as has been my case up until late this season and only after some intense lessons] you'll learn to dump the bike while retaining your balance so that you wind up standing over it after the skid ... this technique is indistinguishable from the "rapid dismount > quick pee" maneuver ... that is, if you're quick enough to run immediately into the brush and drop your fly. I've performed this maneuver quite frequently and have managed to fool even the best of riders who happen upon me when such an incident occurs ... as you have stated, usually after you have become fatigued. Note that I said: "even the best of riders who happen upon me" ... that's because when I ride with folks, I am usually so far behind that not only the dust has settled from the lead riders, but any residual urine pools have evaporated too! That means the only way they can see me perform the 'rapid dismount > quick pee' maneuver is to have turned around and come back searching for me ... that too, is something you'll get used to with time if your speed doesn't return to its previous level ... or if it simply doesn't develop further as appears to be my specific case !!!

Tomck ... if you are still reading at this point ... I hope you understand that I am not poking fun at you ... but rather at myself! You're trail log seems to devote way too much emphasis to things I said or the bike I ride ... just remember, I'm the one in this forum whose writing skills and sense of humor far exceed his riding skills. While I do take trail riding seriously ... the selection of a CRF-450 for my first bike was [probably] far from "optimum" ... perhaps like selecting an F-16 fighter jet in which to take a first flying lesson ... most folks doing so simply don't come back ... I just got lucky and have managed to stay alive thus far. However, in the future, having the right bike will make your trail riding adventures much more enjoyable ... I have spent many hours and many dollars modifying my CRF to eliminate a majority of its motocross characteristics in order to make it more amenable to trail riding. Even after three years of riding, I am not yet totally satisfied ... as your riding skills develop [return in your case], your taste and needs with regard to what might be described as "the optimum trail bike" seem to change ... mine certainly have! Don’t get in too much of hurry … ride the bike you have for awhile … it is fine for redeveloping your basic skills and there are many trails available that are not as sandy as Geels South … then carefully consider your needs, your wants, your budget … finally, go out buy the biggest, baddest bike your wife will permit … just make sure it is NOT a pure bred motocross bike … otherwise you’ll wind up spending a bunch of extra money modifying it into a trail bike. There are way too many nice trail ready bikes out there to choose from … at least look at them first! I can assure you from the perspective of a novice rider, a pure motocross bike is not fun to ride on the trails … yes it can fly over the sand whoops better than many trail bikes … but that same suspension characteristic will literally pound you to death when riding over most of the rest of any trail where there are bumps, choppy sections, roots, sticks and other debris. Also … flying over the tops of sand whoops is cool but not something one typically does for long periods of time anyway … especially those of us getting older … such activity takes a ton of energy, endurance and stamina … attacking whoops in this manner at the start of a 25 to 50 mile ride is the equivalent of starting a marathon by sprinting the first quarter mile! Most of the time, I find that cruising whoops will allow me to sustain my energy for much longer periods and ride further without fatigue than “attacking the whoops” for extended periods. This brings me to another point I wanted to mention … I noticed that you said you did not stop for rests during your ride because you wanted to get home before it got too late. Again, being an ‘older’ rider who rides for exercise rather than exercises to ride … taking breaks is an essential part of every ride. At first you’ll need more breaks, but as you reacquire your stamina, you’ll ride farther and break for less time. But, taking regular rest breaks is critical … especially if you ride solo … you need to avoid riding while significantly fatigued or troubles and injury may find you sooner rather than later. I rest regularly … often before I become fatigued … it keeps me sharper and helps to maintain my reaction time … I think that Young Ted del Solar has put it rather succinctly: “Ride to ride again!”

Regarding some specific riding equipment though ... I agree with Woodsy's advice ... a helmet, goggles and decent boots designed for off road or motocross usage are the minimum mandatory gear ... especially if you choose to ride solo. I personally will not ride without full riding gear: helmet, goggles or glasses, jersey, synthetic fiber undershirt, padded riding skins, elbow guards, knee guards, chest protector, riding pants, socks and riding boots. I know this sounds like a ton of stuff ... and at first it feels like a ton of stuff ... but the best advice I have ever received about dirt biking is to: "Dress for the crash ... not for the ride!" For folks like me [and perhaps you when you're first getting back into riding] getting tired, crashing for inexplicable reasons and assorted other mishaps are part of the learning process. We are no longer teenagers ... our muscles are not as strong as they used to be, our reaction times are beginning to slow measurably, and perhaps most important of all ... our healing times are greatly extended. So, we need all the protection we can get in order to ensure that our ability to enjoy this sport extends as far into the future as our physical ability will permit ... and if Young Ted del Solar is an example of "perfection" ... then that could easily be into your 80's, perhaps beyond!

Finally ... wow this has really turned into another one of my major "wind bag" replies, please accept my apologies ... regarding somewhere to ride during your re-entry into the sport. I spent many hours riding the Leotta loops during my first year ... they are relatively wide, relatively easy, have some hills and forest trails, but are a series of interconnecting, shorter loops that permit you to ride several miles but not get too far from the truck. They are not as sandy and whooped out as Geels and are usually not swampy even after significant rain events. Because there are so many loops, you can ride there for quite awhile and not get bored. These trails have a difficulty rating of 2 by the CCC ... whereas the Geels South trail has a difficulty rating of 3. Excepting the loops near old 27 and Canoe Camp Road, most of Leotta is sandy, but not deep, soft stuff that is hard to ride.

Another point ... I mentioned in my original Geels Trail report that I prefer this trail in the early spring and the late fall ... however, I really didn't give all the specifics for my preference. Number one is ground moisture content ... Geels South is basically hard pack in the early spring before the ground dries up and late in the fall after the rainy season commences here in Michigan ... and as 2TrakR mentioned, right after [or during] any rain event of significance. All of the sandy trails, like: Gladwin, St. Helen, Denton, Rose City, Ogemaw Hills can be amazingly fun to ride right after a good rain ... totally different than when they are completely dried out ... so plan your riding accordingly!

Final point ... not sure what your riding schedule is going to be like this fall ... but, once I get my bike repaired and back on the trail [hopefully soon], I would be glad to poke around with you if you don't mind riding with a novice. I too have spent many hours riding alone ... while it can be fun and interesting ... it does not compare to riding with your friends ... both from a safety and from a comradery perspective. Just drop me an email : maggiesscrap@aol.com or give me a call: 989-835-2266 ... I will try to accommodate your schedule if you're interested.

Whatever happens ... keep riding and having fun ... thanks for the great report of your experience ... and I look forward to your future reports. Hopefully I will be more up to date in my replies.

terry nestrick :cool:

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Terry,

Thanks for your note. No need to apologize. Your excellent ride report inspired me to make the long drive and try out the Geels trail. As usual, you made many good points in your note from yesterday. I probably will not buy a motocross bike, but the miles of whoops at Geels sure gave me the inclination to come back with full bore whoop-fighting equipment. What I really would like to have is a bike with suspension that is more designed for whoops, even if I am just motoring most of them.

Regarding your CRF450, I have noticed a number of riders who prefer to modify motocross bikes for trail riding. It requires some thoughtful engine and suspension modifications (as you noted), but you seem to be getting there with your bike. I am thinking about an enduro bike, but I am not sure if I will be able to ride up north enough to justify the investment.

I certainly agree with your comments about taking breaks and not riding to the point of exhaustion. During my sand induced fall-overs, I was doing the “bike straddle” just fine until I got so tired that I could not react fast enough to get out the way of a falling bike. Of course, now we know that a mere straddle is not enough, since you have described the remarkable “rapid dismount > quick pee" maneuver!

I hope that you get your bike running soon. I very much appreciate your kind offer of riding together, and would like to take you up on it. Thanks again for your terrific trail reports! As someone previously noted, one almost “rides along with you” when you write a report--cool stuff.

Tom Smolenski

Top Bottom