rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
Can the KIPS powervalve cause a loud clattering noise if it is not right or broken? I have a 1998 kdx200 that makes a lot of noise at lower rpms, goes away completely as it revs up. a shop said the rod and main bearings are fine. I checked the clutch assembly, it is fine. the nut on the magneto flywheel is fully torqued as is the nut on the primary drive gear. I am not familiar with this powervalve stuff. I am stumped.

bob

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
this is not a rattle, more like a banging. I met 2 people I know who ride kdx's out in the dirt, and the noise mine makes is nothing like theirs. in fact they wouldn't ride with me, they were sure my kdx is about to blow up or seize or something. I may chicken out and take it to the kaw shop.

bob

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
You should be able to remove the pipe and the little KIPS actuator lever cover and then look into the exhaust port with a flashlight. You can then move the KIPS rod in and out and see the center valve raise and the side valves rotate open and closed.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I checked out the powervalve stuff and it is okay. I added 1/2 quart more oil than specified and the noise dropped off quite a bit.

bob

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom