Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
depends on what it's oiled with.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Soap and water is what I clean mine with. Suds them up, rinse them off, wring them out, let them dry, oil them up and put 'em back.

If cleaning the filter is the first thing you do when you start the maintenance on the bike the filter will be dry enough to oil and put back by the time you are done with everything else.

Rod

Racesmith

Nov 15, 2006
You can always use the Twin-Air filter cleaning system. It consists of two buckets, dirt remover solvent (soap) and filter oil. The two buckets make the mess minimal.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I use solvent, then soap and water and let dry. Some people use kerosene for a cleaning solvent--I expect diesel fuel would work about the same as kerosene. If you use a No Toil type oil, the solvent might not be necessary for the cleaning.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I've got a question:

My filter is a full foam filter, however it's "hairy" around the outside. Can I oil this type of filter? or is it best to just buy a new filter and start fresh?

Dan

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Here is how I clean mine;

You should clean your filter every other ride, more if its dusty. Don't forget to change the tranny oil every other ride too.

NOTOIL is a vegitable based oil that dosn't require solvents. http://www.notoil.com/

I use TWINAIR's filter and oil, here's how I clean mine.

Clean the filter in your choice of solvent to remove the old oil and dirt it trapped. I use gasoline. I prefer using a small bucket with enough solvent to submerge the filter. Knead the filter a few times, sqeeze out the excess, dump the dirty stuff. (it's great for killing weeds growing in the driveway cracks) Repeat 3-4 times or until the solvent remains clear, and you can't feel any dirt in the bottom of the bucket.

Wash the filter in warm soapy water. I use dishwashing liquid. (dawn, joy ect...) Use the same bucket and method as with the solvent, just use warm soapy water. Repeat 3-4 times, sqeezing the filter and dumping the dirty water each time.

Rinse in warm water. Same method. Dump the dirty water each time. Repeat until the soap bubbles are gone. Their shouldn't be any dirt particles in the bottom of the bucket.

If the dirt is really imbedded in the filter I use the garden hose or the kitchen sink sprayer to remove it. Spraying from the inside of the filter, the water pressure pushes the dirt out the way it came in. I hold the nossle right up against the filter. Gentle pinching and kneading will get it all out.

Once the filter is clean, I spin dry (no water) it in the washing machine. Set the filter so the centrifigle force pulls from the inside out. (have the side that faces your carb, face the center of the washing machine) If the filter won't sit still, I prop it with a clean shop towel. It should be dry in a few hours after that.

Before oiling, I turn the filter inside out to see if I missed any dirt. "Plucking it" with your finger almost always removes it.

Don some latex gloves (found at home depot in the paint section). Place the filter in a clean bucket, pour the filter oil all over it. I use an 8X8 inch plastic bucket with a lid. Saturate it with your favorite oil, sqeeze out as much of the excess as you can and install. I don't grease the rim. You will have alot of oil left in the bucket. It's clean, so pour it back into the filter oil can to use next time. I use Twin Air filter oil.

This method only takes about 15 minutes, minus drying time of course. I clean my filter about once a week. I've used this method for a year and a half with no adverse effects to the Twin Air filter.

Hope this helps, Steve.

(You may not want to listen to me because Patman thinks I'm an idiot)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You know those 1 gallon plastic ice cream tubs you get at the grocery store? Save them and their lids (3 total). One with solvent, one for soap treatment, one with filter oil.......works like a champ.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
You know those 1 gallon plastic ice cream tubs you get at the grocery store? Save them and their lids (3 total). One with solvent, one for soap treatment, one with filter oil.......works like a champ.

Now I like this three bucket idea! :cool:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
now what do you do with the oil. when you buy the filter oil do you just put it on there and put it back on your dirtbike. sorry this is a simple ? but ive never done this

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I put the filter in a big ziploc, pour some oil on it, zip it up, and squish it around real good to get it oiled well throughout. You don't want it dripping, but you don't want too light of a coat when you are finished. Then, I lift it out of the ziploc and instantly get my hands oily, which was what I was trying to avoid when I used the ziploc bag in the first place.
Then, when my hands are greasy the phone rings and someone knocks at the door

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
JD_MXRacer said:
now what do you do with the oil. when you buy the filter oil do you just put it on there and put it back on your dirtbike. sorry this is a simple ? but ive never done this
I do a bottle or two of oil in the bucket.........put on your vinyl throw-away GLOVES, take your phone "off-en-ah-hook", dip filter and squeeze out excess back into bucket (quickly before oil starts to tack up) I always apply grease around the sealing lip, and a dab where the wing-nut (bolt) goes through.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have always used K&N Air Filter oil that comes in the spray can. It has a nice red color to it, which hopefully contrasts with the filter element so that you can see if you have missed any spots. Just spray a light coat on the filter and put it on the bike.

Rod

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I would just use a $0.25 spray bottle or an old Windex bottle a quarter-way full of 2-stroke oil or even brake/power-steering fluid and just give'r a heavy misting on the OUTSIDE of the filter.

Should hold the dust out just fine.

Dan

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
DannyMoto07 said:
I would just use a $0.25 spray bottle or an old Windex bottle a quarter-way full of 2-stroke oil or even brake/power-steering fluid and just give'r a heavy misting on the OUTSIDE of the filter.

Should hold the dust out just fine.

Dan

That is terrible advice. Only do this if you feel like rebuilding your engine shortly.

I clean my filter in solvent, then soap and water, then water. Let it dry. For oiling, work the AIR FILTER OIL into the filter until it becomes tacky. Make sure you get the entire filter, then grease the rim and install. NOTE: Make sure you remove the rag from the air boot before installing air filter. :bang:

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
That is terrible advice. Only do this if you feel like rebuilding your engine shortly.

I clean my filter in solvent, then soap and water, then water. Let it dry. For oiling, work the AIR FILTER OIL into the filter until it becomes tacky. Make sure you get the entire filter, then grease the rim and install. NOTE: Make sure you remove the rag from the air boot before installing air filter. :bang:
+1
Except I don't grease the filter seal ring because I use the Moose filters with the non-grease type neoprene sealing ring, and they work great.
BTW- the K&N oil is also a bad choice for foam filters because it is too thin and does not tack up like foam filter oil does. The K&N oil is great for the K&N filter on your street bike though!

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Rebuttal:

Every time I've oiled a filter with "filter-oil" it gums up UNBELIEVABLY quickly. I've done almost exactly what's been described... clean, dry, and then douse until almost dripping, then re-install.

I've found on all of my quads and mopeds (2 stroke) that using a heavier oil in a lighter dose works just fine and you don't have to clean the filter nearly as much. The oil sits on the surface rather than fully absorbing, however it does the job just the same... catches dust and particles too small to be filtered out by the foam.

Like I was saying, it's just my $.02 and I've never blown up a motor, seized a piston, or ran into any other problems...

If you don't want to do it... that's fine... but don't knock it till you try it. :yell:

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
DannyMoto07 said:
Rebuttal:

Every time I've oiled a filter with "filter-oil" it gums up UNBELIEVABLY quickly. I've done almost exactly what's been described... clean, dry, and then douse until almost dripping, then re-install.

I've found on all of my quads and mopeds (2 stroke) that using a heavier oil in a lighter dose works just fine and you don't have to clean the filter nearly as much. The oil sits on the surface rather than fully absorbing, however it does the job just the same... catches dust and particles too small to be filtered out by the foam.

Like I was saying, it's just my $.02 and I've never blown up a motor, seized a piston, or ran into any other problems...

If you don't want to do it... that's fine... but don't knock it till you try it. :yell:
I am not trying to knock your method, but I can tell you that a good quality filter oil is better because is won't migrate through the filter and make it's way to the intake. The oils that you mentioned are not very good because they aren't tacky and they can migrate through the filter. I like to use Maxima FAB1 filter oil (aerosol) and it works just fine with no ill efects and it is very tacky and catches the dirt very well. I also install a clean filter after every ride, regardles if the ride was one hour or four hours, but that's just me. FWIW

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
griffbones said:
I am not trying to knock your method, but I can tell you that a good quality filter oil is better because is won't migrate through the filter and make it's way to the intake. The oils that you mentioned are not very good because they aren't tacky and they can migrate through the filter. I like to use Maxima FAB1 filter oil (aerosol) and it works just fine with no ill efects and it is very tacky and catches the dirt very well. I also install a clean filter after every ride, regardles if the ride was one hour or four hours, but that's just me. FWIW

Oh, I hear you... I find that Yamalube 2-stroke oil works the best for my means.. Amsoil and other injection oil tends to be too runny. Even Sthil chainsaw 2-stroke works well.

I just find it's easier to clean and lasts about the same without becoming as "gummy".

Dan

Top Bottom