~03'yz125~

Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys I'm new here on dirtrider! I just recently bought a 2003 yz 125. I need to clean the air filter before my the next ride and I was wondering what other kinds of oil besides air filter oil will work?? Will engine oil work?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You need to use air filter oil. Back in the 70s you could get away with motor oil but the filters today are designed to be used with air fiter oil that tacks up as it dries. You'll need mineral spirits to clean it unless it was oiled with No-Toil oil which can be washed with detergent. I use No-Toil because I can wash it in my sink...when the wife isn't home :ohmy:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've used chainsaw bar oil when I was younger. But it really isn't anything more than scrap oil not fit to run inside an engine and I don't advise it. You'll save money spending the $8 or so for tacky filter oil designed for your filter. Much cheaper than replacing piston, rings and bearings because too much debris sifted through your filter in order to save $10.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I use a mixture of heavy gear oil W140 with some aircooled 2 stroke premix oil at 70: 30. I can buy filter oils but not the cleaning solution that you get up north.

Disadvantage of the mix is that you need to massage the oil pretty good and can not store the filter for more than a few hours till some dusty dirt partikels bind the oil. The oil runs through the filter, although slow. I use my filters for one ride and wash them, dry them filter them and use them when their time comes.

Make sure you oil both sides, I use a small spray bottle used for watering plants on both sides and massage it in. use plenty and squeeze the excess out of it lay it on a plastic bag for an hour or so and see if oil still runs out.

No debris on the slide, but if I had access to filter oil with the proper cleaning I most likely would not go through that hassle.

~03'yz125~

Jul 22, 2012
Thanks guys for the help!! Im gonna order some of the no toil oil, and try it out. In the meantime i still would like to ride my bike....would it be ok to ride today? The last time I cleaned the filter was a few days ago and since then ive ridden the bike for maybe a total of around 40 minutes. Im just doing some light riding in the pasture, it is not dusty at all just a huge field of green grass.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I used gasoline for many years, and never noticed a problem with the filters wearing out prematurely. The problem with gas was smelling the fumes and having the gas absorb into your skin.

Switched to No-Toil at least a decade ago and love the No-Toil product. Works great.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
High Lord Gomer said:
Arnego2...if you use any of the "normal" air filter oils you can clean them in paint thinner. I actually clean mine in gas.

Thanks, but that way I got to buy a new airfilter every several weeks or so. The way I do it is not perfect or even easier but it works fine for me :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High Lord Gomer said:
Arnego2... I actually clean mine in gas.

You are such a HILLBILLY! :rotfl:

~03'yz125~

Jul 22, 2012
So what exactly does the oil do??? If i ride 2 or 3 times a day just out in the pasture how long can i go without having to clean it? thanks for all the help guys, im just a newbie with all this dirtbike stuff(:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The oil traps the dirt. Inspect it regularly, if it is dirty, clean and re-oil it. If you are not riding in dusty conditions you can go quite awhile without cleaning.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I stand corrected. ;)

Top Bottom